ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys my first semester in the Auto Tech program at school is just about over. The only thing I'm really having problems with is welding in my metals class. To be more precise stick welding. I do okay when I'm actually doing a weld but getting started with that initial strike is what I'm having problems with! Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
depending on the thickness of the rod you're using you can either scratch start or stab start. on thinner stuff moving the stick across the piece your working on helps start the arc.

settings also make a big difference on stick welding, if your running to low of amperage the rod like to stick all the time.

it's just like anything practice makes perfect, just try to get as much seat time as you can. some days you're on it somedays you just suck.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for the tips slevin....I've asked him time and time again he doesnt like to teach little tricks to help you succeed, he wants it by the books. I know everyone as a mechanic has some type of trick/helping system to get them get a job done. He wants us to do 3 stringers of each stick but wants us to start with 6010 and 11 then go all the way up to 18 then do some butt welds and lap welds. I spen a good 2 hours just trying to get the strike down. I was very inconsistent! I have one class left to get these done hopefully it catches on enough where I can get each stick down within 4hrs

·
Supporting Member
356 Posts
Heat the rods up by letting them stick a bit at first? I havnt arc welded on a few years but remember that making a big difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts