ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a Katzkin color swatch from Go Miata 8 days ago. Yesterday I sent them an email asking for a tracking number since I was getting a little worried (they promise 2-3 days on that item). Near the end of the business day, I get a mail back saying that oh, they forgot about it. They sent it out yesterday. Sorry.

I was planning on giving them $600 for some red leather seats and door panels. Now, I'm planning on staying far far away from them. :x We'll call that swatch my $3.85 lesson.

So, does anyone here have a vendor recommendation? Duetto and Crazy Red do the Katskin seats. It's a shame Rspeed doesn't. I'd go straight to Katskin, but they claim not to do door panels. Anyone?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Look local for a katzkin dealer. Buddy used one n Va Beach, they had all the available colors and did the mounting. They should be able to get bulk leather/vinyl for your door panels that will match perfectly.
Chris

·
4,436 Posts
revlimiter said:
I ordered a Katzkin color swatch from Go Miata 8 days ago. Yesterday I sent them an email asking for a tracking number since I was getting a little worried (they promise 2-3 days on that item). Near the end of the business day, I get a mail back saying that oh, they forgot about it. They sent it out yesterday. Sorry.

I was planning on giving them $600 for some red leather seats and door panels. Now, I'm planning on staying far far away from them. :x We'll call that swatch my $3.85 lesson.

So, does anyone here have a vendor recommendation? Duetto and Crazy Red do the Katskin seats. It's a shame Rspeed doesn't. I'd go straight to Katskin, but they claim not to do door panels. Anyone?
Oh boy - that is not good - but not the first time I have heard so-so reviews from GoMiata.

Go Katzkin direct or Crazy Red. That's what I did.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It gets even better.

I called Go Miata to ask them about the 8 day delay in shipping the stupid leather samples and got this story about how customers don't always return them and if they had any in stock, I'd get one. I replied, "But I paid for it. You expect me to return it?" This made the lady sputter for about 5 minutes. When I told her that I wasn't ready to place an order today, but was wondering what Go Miata could do for me to try to win my business, she said that she could refund me the price of the color ring. I asked "You mean the $4 that you say you'll refund on the website anyway?" This got another minute of sputtering. When I flat out asked if there was any discount they could offer that might make it worth while to me to give them my money, I was told that there was someone who could make that decision, but I wasn't allowed to speak to him. I then said goodbye. I was very nice throughout the phone call and made it obvious that I was actually going to spend a lot of money somewhere. They were not helpful.

So. Go Miata made it quite plain that they don't need or even want my business. Does anyone have a favorite contact person at Katzkin? I've seen them mentioned on Miatanet a few times, but never with a contact person.

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
You need to check these guys out before you buy Katskins!

http://nwautoleather.com/

*NOTE* The above pic is not my car.

I was part of a group buy some time last year for a pair of '93 LE red ALL LEATHER seat skins. The match is dead on. Ask Phatty!

I since have bought a newer LE with lower mileage, so the stock seats are perfect. I'm still going to hold onto the replacements, however.

The look and feel is SUPERB. Far better than any Katskins I have seen or felt. Nice and thick. Also, the back of the covers is leather too, not vinyl, like Katskins.

I think I paid $695 for the pair (about $100 more than Katskins), but let me tell you, it was well worth it!

Talk to Steve or Dan at 1-888-821-1066. Tell them Tim Allen with the '93 LE with red seats sent you.

They are in Canada and have the Canadian account for all the Mazda cars for leather interiors, among other makes.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Yeppers............. He has them in storage along with several other brand spanking new interior pieces for the 93LE :shock: He is a 93LE parts hoarder hahahhahaa. Those seat covers are freaking bad ass. They look like they are worth far more than $700 IMHO, maybe they cost less cause you got them in a group buy?. You should just sell them and buy some Nakamae Type-R's though, Tim. :p

PhatMiata

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
No huge discount really. $695 plus shipping.

They even took one of our members old LE seat covers and used it for a pattern fearing it would be slightly different than the cloth pattern they had for the Miata!! :shock:

The real deal was finding someone who could match the LE red!!

The leather came from the tannery in the right color!!

These are pics of the new leather seats on the LE of the guy who set up the group buy.

Take a look:

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/195310/11

What even cooler is that you can get the covers in either the stock fitment or the "gathered" look, perforated or not, and choose the type stitching. I got double stitched panels on mine.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
If you want a retro-look, these Corbeau Alpines make a pretty good case for themselves, and are a lot cheaper than the Japanese seats:

·
Registered
52 Posts
roadsternut said:
If you want a retro-look, these Corbeau Alpines make a pretty good case for themselves, and are a lot cheaper than the Japanese seats:

oh yeah those are nice, Phat you dem dar seats? Would look mighty sweet with a quilted Nakamae interior kit too....hmmmmm

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
timallen said:
You need to check these guys out before you buy Katskins!

http://nwautoleather.com/

*NOTE* The above pic is not my car.
You're not gonna believe this. That exact driver's seat is in my car RIGHT NOW. I've had Cam's original driver's seat installed for over a week seeing how I like the red leather. I love it! Very sexy. I might post a pic or two. A buddy here in town bought Cam's old LE. The whole interior is incredible. Minus a dash crack, it's better than new.

That price isn't too bad. I might just consider that. The LE color is very nice. I'm torn between the Katzkin red, which might be too red, and the Katzkin medium red, which might be too brown. I was gonna compare the swatch to the real LE shade of red. Go Miata is making that difficult.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

I really love how the red looks with the blue. I only installed the one seat to see how the two colors would look together. Not too bad. Here's a couple more shots.

As you can see, it is indeed the same seat as Tim Allen posted.

·
Registered
971 Posts
revlimiter said:
We'll call that swatch my $3.85 lesson.
Pretty cheap lesson...

I got a bar off eBay, the seller used an IL bar that has extra supports in the pic. Ordered the bar and it was the standard Racing Beat copy. After fighting with them for 2 months I FINALLY got a refund, less my shipping costs back to them... a $30 lesson for me.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got off the phone with Crazy Italian. What a nice guy! Looks like I'll be giving him my money. That is, unless I get a wild hair and go for the real LE seats...

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
Hey Adam,

What a wild coincidence!! Cam's car did always look great!

I like the look with your blue Miata!

Looks great!

Good luck with your decision!

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Yes, I realize their similarity to the Classics. I guess I should call Corbeau USA and ask if they can import them for me so that I don't have to pay astronomical prices from the UK since that's the only place they appear to be available.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
freedomgli said:
Yes, I realize their similarity to the Classics. I guess I should call Corbeau USA and ask if they can import them for me so that I don't have to pay astronomical prices from the UK since that's the only place they appear to be available.
That and Japan. Remember, when you see UK list prices, knock off 17.5%; you don't pay VAT. The Alpines aren't terribly priced; £130ish, which in the UK, is at the cheap end of the recognised brands (I don't trust the nameless Chinese made ones...).

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I thought I'd finish off this thread. Go Miata finally got the color ring to me. Yesterday. That's the 13th. That's not 2-3 day shipping, that's 10 day shipping. I guess I should feel lucky they sent it at all. It's missing about 15 colors. :roll: At least it's got the two I wanted.

How do these folks stay in business?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts