ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fleet Color called today and let me know that the interior was painted on the project car. They wanted me to stop by and let them know if they correctly colormatched the interior to the painted trunklid I provided to them. They told me they couldn't use the pure green tone of DuPont paint I provided them because it was a transparent tone.

They showed me what was done...It was close, but the shade of BRG they painted the car with had too much yellow in it, making the BRG have an unwanted olive tone. If it ever got dusty, it'd look like olive drab. I asked if they used a plain, single green tone like I originally suggested, but they hadn't. It DID look mighty nice, very vintage, and very "rich" (depth, simple sophistication)--it just had an olive tone to it that I really wanted to get away from.

We futzed around with color mixing to try to get the olive out. They mixed in some blue-green toner, we made several adjustments, we'd put a dab on the green trunklid I provided and always it'd look too olive in comparison. I told them to remove as much yellow from the mix as possible to get it to have a purer green tone, or add blue to cancel out the yellow.

It started to become frustrating, until a helper brought out a separate can of green toner and I immediately spotted the plain toner for their chosen brand as being the right color as it was--unmixed (different brand, but the same color I wanted). They put a little dab of this pure color on the trunklid, and the dab disappeared against the background. PERFECT MATCH.

They spent HOURS trying to mix the right color, and couldn't do it. I told them to use a plain unmixed toner, but apparently they didn't hear me the first time around. It's VERY hard to mix paint to look like a master tint. :lol:

Sometimes the simplest route is the way to go. They're going to paint another panel with this single, unmixed color, and we'll give it another go. If it turns out as expected, we'll finally be ready to shoot the whole car.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I hope everything works out....I'm really looking forward to seeing the car!!

Oh and it sounds like fleet color has some pretty good customer service. I mean I know you probally paid a lot for the paint and everything but it's good that they called you and had you take a look at it and even worked with you to get the color you really wanted.

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope everything works out....I'm really looking forward to seeing the car!!

Oh and it sounds like fleet color has some pretty good customer service. I mean I know you probally paid a lot for the paint and everything but it's good that they called you and had you take a look at it and even worked with you to get the color you really wanted.
Yep, those are the most important things. Good service & meeting expectations.
Despite the issues, I'm really excited to see how the car is coming along. :mrgreen:

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Went to Fleet Color...

Stopped by Fleet Color again today, and they've made progress. The antenna hole was filled and they had a body panel test painted for color approval--they nailed it, too. Give them the thumbs up to go ahead and paint the entire car! =D>

Jesse Jr. said that the car should be all green (but not striped or clearcoated) by next Saturday. Looking forward to seeing it! :mrgreen:

M

·
0 Posts

So how much finessing did/do they need to do on your molding work?

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

So how much finessing did/do they need to do on your molding work?
They were impressed with the work I did to the car prior to taking it to them, and had to do very little cleanup work. They said that they only had minor filling & block sanding to prep the car for paint. 8)

M

·
0 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts