ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now i have a red top optima battery, but im thinking to switching to the westco battery. I was just wondering what battery you guys use? Is the westco battery good?

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Westco along with a PriorityStart! (battery saver) is a great combo.
I have both and they work great. Sometimes when my car lights are on, the next day, it still has enough power to crank the engine. (this happens about every other week)

It has higher cranking power than OEM batteries, but a lot less than your current red top. It's a lot nicer than the AutoZone, Kragen, Kmart, Walmart, etc. brands. But, they're usually only avaible online.

The only reasons to get Westco's is that it's a direct fit and cheaper than optima's.

Why would you want to switch batteries? Aren't all Optima batteries completely sealed and can be mounted in any angle? Plus, you can add more electronic components without worrying about draining your battery.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
I use the regular Panasonic battery; I get them cheaper than Westcos from Mazda, and anecdotally, they last a long time (I got 14 years out of one, and it was still working just fine).

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Group 75 Optima RedTop (the 75's were on sale for 90 bucks!)... had to make a custom bracket, but works great, no issues and is strong like ox!

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Optima Yellow top and custom billet bracket.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
It has higher cranking power than OEM batteries, but a lot less than your current red top. It's a lot nicer than the AutoZone, Kragen, Kmart, Walmart, etc. brands. But, they're usually only avaible online.

Actually the Autozone battery for the Miata IS the Westco Battery. I have it in My car. There's a couple Threads on ^.net about it.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Had a Optima Yellow Top, lasted about 2 years, boo, and also tried an Oddessy, lasted about a year. Running the westco, no issues for more than 4 years.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I have been running the big optima red top about 4 months, since my old mazda replacement slosher gave up the ship.

It was basicaly the only non venting battery I could find local when I needed it. I payed about $70 at an autozone that hadn't updated the prices marked on their shelves for a long time.

I had to make a bracket, but the cables had enough slack to deal with the terminals being on the wrong sides. It is about 10 lb heavier than the mazda one if I remember right.

Great deal of starting power with this one. I also did the door minder->light minder conversion from a tip on m.net after leaving the parking lights on too long once (before the optima).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts