ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your brand of choice for header wrap? Going on a cheap OBX, so price is no object. Saved a lot on my package deal. 8)

Also what are some good techniques to follow when wrapping stainless steel headers?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've heard of acura/honda folk just using a roll of fiberglass fabric as header wrap, and of course doing the coating etc etc etc.

·
Registered
459 Posts
^^yes, and no.

i used thermotec. and get the can of coating spray too. it works better together.

and it really does help to install according to their recommendations to really get it right. soaking it in soapy water does help with a tighter wrap. also use latex gloves as when applying it as the fiberglass material in the wraps really irritates your skin. the fibers really digs into your skin sometimes, and it really gets on your nerves afterwards.

best to do in a cold garage.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys.

I'm with you on the benefit of the ceramic coat... but I figure I got this OBX stainless 4-2-1 pretty cheap and I'm willing to take the risk on it. I've always wanted to try a wrapped header to be honest.

When doing the spray, did you apply before the wrap (on the metal) and over the wrap?

Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
you could also look in the phone book for insulation companies, not like for houses but like for mechanical insulating... i work for a company like that and we carry like 2" fiberglass fabric and its at least 1/8" thick - the reason i say this is because you could probably get it alot cheaper this way

·
Registered
129 Posts
just fyi the company i work for sells it for $35 for 100ft of 1/8 inch thick 2 inch wide wrap but the shop actually buys it for like $17

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I used the stuff at Discount Auto Parts. It's working so far so good.

It smells like bread some times though..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts