ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, i own a 92 1.6 and im going to put on a set of ITBs (fuji racing), and to Get a bit more power out i am also upgrading to a set of aftermarket camshafts, preferable 264s.
I daily my car and so im after a setup that is reliable and does not require exchanging oem lifters/valves/valvesprings (although, further head-work might take place once i Get another DD in The distant future).

I have tried searching, but there does not seem to be a lot of info on The subject, therefor i am asking.

·
Registered
638 Posts
aggressive cams will affect your idle to pass emissions if that is at all a concern since you mentioned daily.

http://www.maruhamotors.co.jp/miata/

Thereis an itb thread on here.. so good luck making any major power with the 1.6 better off going 1.8 or boost... better revving? stock valve springs? Thats like asking for a Sumo wrestler to win an Olympic Cross Country race.

best of luck.

Edit*
http://rev9autosport.com/jenvey-individual-throttle-body-irtb-kit.html

He's got it stateside ready to ship.. so do it already

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I allready have a fuji racing ITBs:) Like i said, not to aggressive cams, just something to up engine response and grinfactor. I have friends with 400hp turbo mx-5s, I dont want boost.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
cams without the headwork to support the flow is really sort of silly. a 264 is the max you can really go for a streetable idle, you should be more concerned with the amount of lift with stock lifters. 256 is probably more what you might want.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I don't get what your asking...

This thread was about cams for b6 1.6l, so no they will not work on a bp4w 99 head. The cams are not interchangeable from b6-bp05-bp4w-bPz3.

You need cams for your engine. Megacycle, mahura, and I think toda have off the shelf cams.

You could always just have the stock ones reground or hard welded to pretty much any spec you want. Probably be cheaper than any of the off the shelf ones I previously mentioned. There are lots of camshaft or engine machine shops that can do this.

·
Registered
15 Posts
idk what people think about obx camshafts but i like them. they're pretty good :)
they're a 256/256 stage 2. according to obx you need a upgraded valve train for a stage 2 so i'm assuming its like that with any cam shaft thats stage 2 and up. they have stage 1 cams with a smaller lobe and you can retain stock valve train. but people probably think obx sucks but i got good things to say about them :)

here are mine before installation

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I don't think you can compare cams by "stage". There is no defined "stage". That's manufacturer and model specific. It all just comes down to the specs.

I've heard the obx miata cams are just copies of the hks cams for the b6. The hks 256*cams do not require valvetrain mods. I would not be surprised if there was no testing done on obx's part.

Obx only makes b6 cams for the miata. I've read mixed reviews about them. Lots of bad Honda stories, none really for us though. The Honda ones I have read of premature wear on the valvetrain due to the metal being to hard and instances of them snapping in as little as 1,500 miles. Care to share how long they've been in your engine? I've been curious if the problems with their cams were model specific.

·
Registered
15 Posts
They've been in my car for a while now. I put 250+ miles a week on my car commuting to work and I've had them for about 3 months now. They give lifetime warranty so its cool on their side but I haven't had any complaints yet. It was noticable difference going from stock to a 256

·
Registered
691 Posts
Honda boys always seem to have the most horror stories. Specially when it comes to valvetrains. Id give obx a shot, they make ecent ripoffs.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I got the obx cams and just because I didn't wanna risk valve float I got a supertech valve train along with it. Obx is good for its price. But if you want name name brand get another company. I mainly bought obx because of budget and to test the products

·
Hide yo kids hide yo wife
6,286 Posts
^cams for the 1.8 are rare, unfortunately. =[

i'd do it, just for a little more fun... but the smiles per dollar really puts a damper on it for me too.

·
Hide yo kids hide yo wife
6,286 Posts
^yeah, the only thing i've done so far is the exhintake.. which is great and cheap, but it makes me yearn for more.. turbo time!

·
··
4,227 Posts
Could I get a link to an informative, conclusive write-up and review whatever for that swap? All I can find are pretty obscure and outdated threads about how they do this and that but ain't helpin' me.

My intentions are this:
I'm not very comfortable putting 150k+ camshafts back in and I figure I might as well upgrade a bit for some fun and have new parts for reliability. Thing is it'll stay N/A so I have no cause for stupid expensive ones and I don't wanna change too much to accomadate the new ones if I don't have to.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts