ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to turbo my 95 miata that I just picked up and was wondering how much power can I get out the car while not stressing it too much. 200whp/250whp/300whp? I'm probably going to build my own kit and just buy some tuning, as I only want to spend around $3k initally and I'd love 250+whp. I will build the motor if I feel its necessary for the power goals I want but this year I only have about $4k to put in the car, around $3k in power upgrades and $1k in suspension/misc stuff I figure.

Thanks for any help.

Matt

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
all depends on tuning, the capabilities of your engine management, and fuel system....

motors have failed at near stock levels, and some of us are pushing the limits of what it is commonly believed the stock motor can handle....

on a 3K budget, I'd say depending on your fabrication skills and mechanical know how.... you should be able to hit the 200hp mark rather reliably and easily...

·
Registered
464 Posts
The motor can handle more than the transmission. Above 250rwhp, closer to 300 in most cases, and you need to start to be careful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I'm fairly mechanicly inclined...I mean I use to own a turbo dsm, lol. DSM = Doesn't stay moving.

I had used the AEM EMS on that car, do you know if its offered and had good sucess on the miata's?

I sorta wish I had gotten a 1.6l as it seems there are better options out there for kits, but I only paid $1500 for my car, so I can't complain.

I was thinking about using a 14b turbo, supra smic, and either dsm 390cc or 450cc injectors, I've got all that laying around the garage, and should be good for 250whp I think.

I'm not aware of any manifolds really, specifically that would have that flange, but I can always cut the flange off and weld the correct one on or just get an adapter plate.

I'm figuring I'll fab up my IC piping, DP and exhaust. But what size tubing do most people use for all that? 2.5" or 3" on the dp/exhaust? I want to keep it single exit, no cats, maybe even a side exit if possible, haven't gotten under the car yet.

Speaking of the trans, is that from hard launches, fast shifts, or just plain old getting on it. I want a cruiser/hwy car or a roll race setup, as I enjoy that the most. I'll maybe hit the drag strip everyonce in awhile.

How much can the rear handle? How do I find out if I have a posi or lsd unit? Do they sell "gears" for these cars, like a mustang? My foxbody I put 3:73's in the rear for better acceleration, a cheap upgrade.

Thanks again guys
Matt

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you can weld then you should just buy one of the jgs tools manifold kits. I'm positive they can include the correct flange in the kit. Then you just weld it up yourself. I think the kit runs like $150ish which isn't too bad.

As far as losing gears, I have heard of people losing gears getting on it from a role at high hp. The 6speed can handle more power, but the gears are even shorter than the already short 1st and 2nd. The only 6speed I've heard of getting destroyed by hp was in that 600+ hp miata with the FM 2.0L build. So it must be pretty strong.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
FM sells a stronger Quaife gearset for the 5-speed box. Only $2,950 + install. Or you could go with a T-II swap.

·
Registered
110 Posts
snipped a bit:
haha, ONLY 2950. thats really expensive IMO.
Actually it's $2795. If you believe that is expensive, then maybe high HP FI in not for you. If you check the Quaife web site, you will see that it is one of the lowest cost gear kit's they offer.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the comments guys, any links to this JGS manifold stuff?

I bought this car for $1500, I'm not dropping $3k on gears, lol. Maybe I'll just shoot for 200-225whp and enjoy it for awhile then build it if I find the car fun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
HKS has a manifold for a T2 turbo that you could use.....its cast so should last longer then with any risks for cracking like tubular ones

the stock block can handle about 12 psi.....sometimes more or less but that all depends on engine management and tuning

i believe the AEM EMS works on a NA miata and if you know about it already should be even better.....i hear they released new software for it vs when it first came out

250hp should be easily realized with the right turbo and tuning

from what i remember out trannys can't handle hard launches, power shifting, and too much power 250hp i would say is about the limit

the rear on a 1.8 is pretty stout so should be good in that department.....haven't heard peeps breaking a rear end on a 1.8.....always the tranny or motor if anything

and gears for our car are not nearly as available as a mustang......there are a few gears that come from other mazda's but for the most part its not cheap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts