ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tricked my friend into leting me practice painting on his mustang before i do my miata so this is my problem. see pics below. i think it is precipitation or oil in the air. I bought a filter thats supposed to catch all dirt, oil and precip. but i think it got thru somehow. after i painted this hood i went to lowes and bought another in line dryer in hopes to get any left over liquids out. any advice? please.

·
Registered
332 Posts
yeah umm. doesnt look like you primered the hood. or even sanded it. if you paint anything thats been exposed to the elements it will come out like that.. whats basically happening is that the paint isnt sticking to the surface so it just runs off, make lil dots what happened to your project or will just evaporates

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
yea i had that problme before too. it might be a compatibility issue between your primer and the actual paint you used.

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah umm. doesnt look like you primered the hood. or even sanded it. if you paint anything thats been exposed to the elements it will come out like that.. whats basically happening is that the paint isnt sticking to the surface so it just runs off, make lil dots what happened to your project or will just evaporates
hood was primed with 3 coats high build primer and sanded with 400 grit super smooth. possibily compatibility issue, but why would the guy at the paint shop suggest this paint and primer? hmm. and yes it looks like its just not sticking, like its running off. later this night we painted the spoiler and it didnt have as many spots but it just didnt stick at all. clumped up and ran. the bottom of the spoiler was clearable tho :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
oh wow...um try draining your compressor. you might have some moisture inside it..also wherever you got the paint from. ask them to give you primer that would work good with the paint

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
those are called FISHEYES ....

commonly caused by oil, silicone, etc....

tht can hppen from something as insignificnt as having a vehicle with diesel engine running in the general vicinity of where you are painting.

a more common cause is contamination in the air from things like sprayable silicone based lubricants, or the oil used to lubricate the compressor itself.

that can also happen as a result of an over reduced basecoat mixture that is applied too heavily at too low a pressure of too high a pressure

if you are sure that you have everything mixed correctly, and there are no contaminants present.... try applying a drier coat of paint at a higher pressure and allowing that to tack up a bit before applying heavier coats..... once you have a good base to work on.... things should go much better

painting is more art than people think, and it takes a while to get the hang of it sometimes. It can be frustrating, but don't give up just yet!

·
Supporting Member
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Painted the car last night. It turned out great! (needs a good buffing tho) I believe it was too much moisture or oil in the air from the compressor. also painting the initial base coat of paint light worked well to give somthing for the paint to stick to. thanks for all the help. Ill post some pics soon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts