ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to seller, it has 75k. Selling for 300 + shipping. Is it worth to buy it?
How's the condition of this head? Does it have to be re-surfaced before putting it on my miata? thanks

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If it overheated prior to pulling. Yes resurface it. If not, you could do it anyways to get a known good seal in the head gasket. Maybe get a little more compression out of it as well.

Other wise 300 isn't to steep for a sl head. But then you would have to source a manifold. Unless your car is an nb already and you have the right intake manifold.

·
Supporting Member
190 Posts
$300 seems a bit steep but that's just me. And unless its been overheated it shouldn't need resurfaced or anything. But its always a good idea to have it check. Costs like $35 (at the place I take it to). make sure you take a razor blade to the bottom really good and get every little bit of head gasket and other residue off. Some Brillo pads and brake cleaner help immensely.

·
Premium Member
4,017 Posts
resurface with valve job will turn this into a 500-600 head. aw yeah.

plus all the seals it takes to throw it back together after it comes back from the machine shop.

·
Registered
370 Posts
300 seems a bit steep to me for a disassembled head with shipping on top. I would pay that if I could check it in person, but it sounds like that isn't an option. I'd also have it resurfaced just for safe measure, and at a competent machine shop, none of that belt sander surfacing action.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I paid a bit more than 300 bucks for a valve job, port/polish, and valve job. I would imagine a valve job and resurface to be no less than a $150 procedure. You'd be better off just putting the work into your current head if you have one.
This is my current head.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Just buy a friggin rebuilt head on eBay for 300-400, like I already advised you.

The labor alone to put that head back together isn't worth it. It's not near worth all the crap it needs. Trying to do **** the dumb cheap way ends up costing more.

·
Registered
158 Posts
you understand that's a bp4w head right? out of a 99-00 miata. best flowing head for the bp. 300 plus shipping is actually not too bad even if the head is disassembled. 350 will get you a rebuilt head off ebay, but that's for the regular bp05. a rebuilt bp4w will cost you about 430 for a rebuilt head. keep in mind, this means sending in your current head as a core, which I'm not sure if yours, being broken like that, will qualify

EDIT: just saw your info and you've got a 99. so yeah... I wonder how much it would cost to just get that part of the head rewelded at a machine shop

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
I would buy it in that state for that price.

However, I would tank it, shave it, spec the valves, valve springs, cams and re seal it.

Figure 600-700 total for practically a brand new head when all is said and done.

·
Banned
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
you understand that's a bp4w head right? out of a 99-00 miata. best flowing head for the bp. 300 plus shipping is actually not too bad even if the head is disassembled. 350 will get you a rebuilt head off ebay, but that's for the regular bp05. a rebuilt bp4w will cost you about 430 for a rebuilt head. keep in mind, this means sending in your current head as a core, which I'm not sure if yours, being broken like that, will qualify

EDIT: just saw your info and you've got a 99. so yeah... I wonder how much it would cost to just get that part of the head rewelded at a machine shop
sorry, i am new here. what is the different between BP4W and BP05? how much BP4w cost more? do they both fit my 99 miata?
I have been looking for a weld shop around my area, but no luck..thanks

·
Registered
158 Posts
the bp4w head on the 99/00 engines are better designed in terms of flow than the older 94-97 heads. The bp4w is much more in demand for people with performance in mind. People like to put the bp4w head on 94 blocks and turbo them as the 94-95 engine has lower compression pistons. So turbo, better flowing head, lower compression pistons = more power as it's also easier to tune. More demand = higher price

your 99 miata has a bp4w head on it already. so does the 2000, so if you can find someone to weld it back up, might save some money that way

1 - 20 of 22 Posts