ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I'm sure this has been asked before, but I've searched all over and I can't seem to grasp what everyone means by "soft" on Raceland Coilovers.

By soft, does it mean that it doesn't rearrange your organs on a crappy road.
Or does it mean that when throw my car into a corner, the car is going to feel like it's about to roll over.

For instance, (And this is completely irrelevant) my sand rail has stiff suspension when i corner (no body roll), yet I can hit a huge jump and land it without break my back.

So in other words. Should I interpret soft as "I'm going to feel like I'm in an SUV." Or is it more like "It can take bumps in the road great, and will have next to no body roll through the turns."
I just want to know if it is body roll city in a corner with the coilovers?

·
Administrator
15,716 Posts
So Lots of body roll? Or it'll take bumps well? Not exactly sure what that means :confused:

They roll a lot for a coilover, and they don't take bumps well because the travel sucks.

There's not really anything they do well except for hardpark.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Don't have experience with them but from low spring rates it's probably a lot of body roll (unless you install thicker sway bars) and will absorb bumps well (unless you have it lowered so far down [hellaflush!] to the point there's not enough suspension travel).

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, I'm on quite a budget. Would Tokico HP shocks and H&R "Racing Springs" be any good?
Or does anyone know of any coilovers or shock/spring setups that wouldn't be much more than the raceland coilovers? I'm looking for a stiffish ride without much roll.

·
Registered
716 Posts
When most people say "soft" they believe there are talking about spring rate. However, in the example of "racelands are soft", the issue is with insufficient damping, not too low of spring rate. Racelands would actually perform better with a lower spring rate; as the damping of the shocks (especially in the rear) cannot begin to control the springs. The rear dampers have very similar characteristics as the OEM "Showa" brand shocks, with 3 times the spring rate.

You'll ride slightly better than a stock miata with blown shocks at higher ride heights on good roads. You'll bouncy horribly on bad roads and at low ride heights. Trimming the bumpstops has been shown to improve the racelands as a whole. Overall, they're better than blown stock shocks; other than that, they have no redeeming qualities.

·
Administrator
15,716 Posts
Well, I'm on quite a budget. Would Tokico HP shocks and H&R "Racing Springs" be any good?
Or does anyone know of any coilovers or shock/spring setups that wouldn't be much more than the raceland coilovers? I'm looking for a stiffish ride without much roll.

What is "quite a budget?"

If you can't afford anything that will suit your needs, then you should continue saving. I WOULD take the Tokico HPs and H&R springs over Ricelands any day of the week. I personally would NOT be happy with either setup, so i won't buy either of them.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Megans, IMO, would probably be your best setup.

·
Administrator
15,716 Posts
I'm going to preemptively cast my vote for Bilsteins + GCs.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Racelands like most people said are on the softer side for a coilover. I found they are stiffer than stock, but the dampening sucks balls. they take the bumps and tend to keep on bouncing if the road is not perfectly flat. Shock travel is ok, but most people argue this because they are lower than recommended. I'm currently on 205/50/15 and tucking the tip of tire tread with cut bumstops and I have yet to hit them. If you are looking for handling, this are not the answer, yet I do have some autox on them now and I can't complain much because anything is better than a 20 year old stock suspension. A good stiff suspension will absorb the bumps without your eyeballs falling out, but racelands are for low and slow.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
^that should be a good starting point. You will get better ride and handling improvement.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I was looking to get into Auto-X, one day (I haven't made any effort to start) and I'd like to finish the main bulk of the car before I do, as well. I spend a lot of time in the canyons, and I DD this car as well (why I wanted adjustable). Well all that aside, I already ordered those shocks/springs that I mentioned earlier, so no matter what, I got those. I'm happy that I ended up getting that setup rather than the racelands though (not that I have anything against them, or the people that use them - hardparking just isn't my cup of tea).

1 - 20 of 36 Posts