ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
RHD Jdm yo
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i think part of my overheating problem is comming from not having good enough fans.

I have a 250.00 budget, and can make my own shroud. what fans would you recommed. Its on a three core aluminum rad.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Your overheating problem has nothing to do with your fans if it's happening at speed.

edit: hoo boy, just saw your build. I haven't a clue what to suggest, but excellent work.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
True, that.

To answer your question, I have a pair of low profile SPAL fans in the 90.
In lots of typical, street-driven cars, the stock fans and radiator are quite adequate.
Have you already changed to a thicker radiator? Perhaps tried a coolant reroute?

·
Supporting Member #5522
3,190 Posts
So i think part of my overheating problem is comming from not having good enough fans.

I have a 250.00 budget, and can make my own shroud. what fans would you recommed. Its on a three core aluminum rad.
True, that.

To answer your question, I have a pair of low profile SPAL fans in the 90.
In lots of typical, street-driven cars, the stock fans and radiator are quite adequate.
Have you already changed to a thicker radiator? Perhaps tried a coolant reroute?
lol v8?

i dont remember but did you go with a electric water pump? also i would change your thermostat could be bad or to high of a temp? i would go with any thing with 4000 cfm or more when it comes to fans for a v8.

·
RHD Jdm yo
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your overheating problem has nothing to do with your fans if it's happening at speed.
it isnt at speed. its at 25-35 and under and deff at stoplights

i put it here cause turbo guys deal with heat like i do. I have my headers forward, and not much venting in the hood, so its hot under the hood. I have no thermo in it right now, and i think it isnt helping. so im gonna throw a new one in there tomorrow and bleed it out when i get my alternator back. I did a GOOD flush of the block and radiator till it was totally clear and made sure the water pump was rotating right.

i just want some decent fans so its one less thing to worry about.

557669_397759503567505_100000003750948_1572467_1424290563_n by Flsimages, on Flickr

·
Registered
370 Posts
Personally I would focus on properly ducting the front of the radiator before spending a bunch of money on fans. Should be a lot easier with that bumper and crash bar too.

·
RHD Jdm yo
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have wrap on the way as we speak. will be here thursday. i need this thing to NOT overheat anymore. 2x water wetter and 50/50 mix going in also instead of just water and one bottle of water wetter

·
RHD Jdm yo
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Personally I would focus on properly ducting the front of the radiator before spending a bunch of money on fans. Should be a lot easier with that bumper and crash bar too.
there isnt much ducting to do. its pretty well ducted

Miata front.jpg by Flsimages, on Flickr

rad is butted up against the bottom. adn only a few inches aroudn the rest

·
Registered
691 Posts
There's still some small gaps on he side. Ducts don't work without fans tho.
T be honest I've always just used what I have found laying about. Go grab some pusher fans off of a bmw or merc from the yard. They flow well, and u can mount on the front.
That's one hell of an intake.

·
Premium Member
6,345 Posts
Does it do it even with the hood off? If it does it with the hood on then maybe it just needs some vents toward the back of the hood for the heat to escape.
I think you'd be better off with an extractor hood with the vent near the front of the car. The issue occurs at low speed, so I don't think that will be the end-all though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
flyin miata shroud and spals works great.All distilled water and red line helped too.Coolant re-route but can`t see a temp difference.
My car just ate a 55mm Koyo went to the 37mm and seems to be better .

·
RHD Jdm yo
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yeah, gonna grab a few gallons of distilled today after work instead of using hose water. this thing is a MONSTER of water holding.

but note my budget for fans. was 250 bucks. FM wants a redic amount of money for something so simple

·
Registered
572 Posts
flyin miata shroud and spals works great.All distilled water and red line helped too.Coolant re-route but can`t see a temp difference.
My car just ate a 55mm Koyo went to the 37mm and seems to be better .
Can you elaborate on this? What's better about the 37mm?

·
RHD Jdm yo
1,427 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
if you dont have MONSTER fans, a 3 core rad + 2/3 core intercooler is too thick for efficient heat dissipation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Can you fit some Taurus fans in there? The put out a ridiculous amount of cfm. A quick search on google will tell you which years to use. Just a cheap idea, if they will fit.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts