ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I need help setting up my suspension. Planning to stay with my Koni yellows and I only have stock springs in right now. Want to replace the stock springs with ground controls. I dont want to revalve the koni yellows or get the koni race, so whats the highest ground control spring rates i can run on the koni yellows? and whats recommended? I do 95% street driving and probably try some track and autocross next year. Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
If you're getting the shocks redone, Koni or at least some of their distributors can provide you with coilovers to match the revalved shocks as well. It's an option at least.

·
Registered
706 Posts
140/70>120 rates make the prokit softer than stock.
eh. i think those numbers are more hearsay than anything. Eibach doesnt publish their pro kit spring rates. Every review I can find on these things suggests a firmer than stock ride, and with more than an inch less spring compression available, I find it hard to believe the engineers would put these softer than stock springs. He's doing 95% street driving, I dont think the OP would really want the stiffest spring he can get.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
brontosaurus: 8k/6k is the same as 450/350lb?
8k/6k and 450/350lb sound like some decent rates.
I think on goodwins site says that GC 550/350 needs the koni yellows to be revalved. So you are probably right the Koni yellows can run about GC 500 and below

gtz: I am just wanting to know the highest rates i can run with the Koni yellow shocks and i believe that is about 500lb front/ 350 rear. Im not sure what spring rates the koni yellows can handle.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/member.php?u=8113ambystom01 i dont want to get the shocks revalved or upgrade to koni race, i just want to stay with the koni yellows and test them out with ground controls first

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jaredef: thanks yeah i think its about 450-500 GC for the koni yellow sport shocks. I will make sure with goodwinracing hoping to get a reply from them soon. I know i will be driving 95% street driving, but i do like driving faster and will be doing some track and autocross later on. Im afraid if i got gc 375/250 then find it too soft.... then ill have to sell the gc and upgrade again. So i think GC with 450-500 front/350 rear should be better.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i just checked out 949 racings site tein flex spring rates for reference
it says 8k front is about 450lbs
so i think i should go with GC 450/350 or 450/300?
which spring is better for the rears?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
425 front
300 rear

I enjoyed them and was good for throwing around corners while being complacent for street use

·
SuperMOD
2,502 Posts
Im afraid if i got gc 375/250 then find it too soft.... then ill have to sell the gc and upgrade again. So i think GC with 450-500 front/350 rear should be better.
See if you can get a ride with someone who has a similar setup. Even if you can't, a new set of springs for your Ground Controls won't be too expensive should you decide to change rates down the road.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I agree, the more rides with people you can get the better.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
400/275 is what I'd toss on them again.

I've had stock (150/97), 550/300, 318/233, and 400/250.

I assume you have sleeves/collars already?

·
Registered
459 Posts
how bad are the 375/250? My car isnt a daily, but when I do drive it, I want comfort and performance.

I wanted to get the FM2.5 which is 318/233, but i want the adjustability of the GC as I find the FM springs about .5 inches too high.

·
(⌐■_■)
2,307 Posts
From the fcm site, fwiw

Koni Sport (also Koni Yellow) - aftermarket, Dutch-made, twin-tube digressive shock with a single double-acting (rebound/compression) low-speed bleed knob
Background: designed as a stock-replacement, this shock works quite well with a stock spring except for having insufficient mid- and high-speed compression to prevent jacking. On stiffer rebound settings the shock is often used to 'control' stiffer springs. However, the control being exerted is only in the rebound direction so the result is jacking down, creating a loss of grip, unpredictable handling in the wet and reduced ride comfort. We used these shocks for 10 years and they served us well until we discovered monotube technology via Bilsteins and haven't looked back.
Usage: For touring and sporty driving, we find 300 lb/in front, 220 lb/in rear springs is a good complement to the Koni damping. Higher rates are typically used for STS2, CSP and more dedicated track cars.
Revalve/rebuild? At an authorized Koni center (no, we do not revalve Konis).
Dyno graph:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts