ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,267 Posts
What happened is Tim Allen lost interest in keeping this place running using his own time and money. He became a neglectful admin and eventually sold out to VerticalScope, whose modus operandi is to buy enthusiast forums, sell their user data to big data brokers and also sell advertising on their ad platform that cuts across all their holdings. VericalScope basically lets their sites wither on the vine and die through neglect and attrition. InternetBrands is a competitor who does the same thing. Look at VWVortex and Honda-Tech. They both used to be HUGE. Now both are hollow shells of their former selves.

Many of the original members that helped build and manage this place with Tim’s admin help felt betrayed by the neglect and the sale so they bailed out. The community lingered on for several more years without the same energy levels as before. Simultaneously, sites like Facebook and Reddit and Instagram supplanted this place. Many people interested in the social aspects of any particular car scene had new outlets for interaction and to show off for clout/ dopamine. Many of my Japanese friends on Minkara also migrated to Twitter and Instagram, so Minkara is mostly tumbleweeds now also.

It’s kinda aad that so many of us spent so much time and effort curating and sharing hard earned knowledge that will just get lost in the ether. I wish I had done what revlimiter did and documented all my know how in a personal blog and then just reposted it here and elsewhere as needed. But that takes a huge effort and is water under the bridge now. Many of my friends are still Miata peeps. These days I’m mostly into my Miata for my own personal gratification and less into the social/ sharing/ community thing. So personally, I’ve kinda outgrown all of it. The forums are mostly dead and the Facebook groups are just plain awful.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts