ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 133 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Present 1.8 Roadster has a BBK (Germany) 4-2-1 header via MX5parts:

I think its really freed the engine up; the BP finally revs more like the B6.

As a side point; it became apparent when fitting this header that all 1.8 JDM Roadsters had a 370mm catalytic converter; the same as 1.6 models, whereas for US and most European models, it was a 440mm cat. Effectively, a Japanese market header for a 1.8 is 70mm too long. To fit the BBK header, a custom adaptor had to be made up.

To fit a JDM header to a 1.8, you may need to also fit a 1.6 cat.. In addition, Roadsters don't have EGR valves.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I have an OBX that looks just like the one above, but with EGR

·
Sponsor
1,963 Posts
maxim works m-silent

pretty expensive around $600 w/o shipping, but it's well worth it, probably one of the lightest headers out there around 11 lbs (maybe except for the a-rf full titan one)
excellent torque all around. i think spoon contracts w/ these guys to build their honda headers.
the new NB one is about 1k :shock:

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
I have a Jackson Racing header. 4-2-1. I like it, but being as low as I am I hit my exhuast alot. I am thinking of either adding a flex section or trying out a new header, probably something JDM which I will wrap up.

here's a pic.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Mine are from Raceland

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Present 1.8 Roadster has a BBK (Germany) 4-2-1 header via MX5parts:

I think its really freed the engine up; the BP finally revs more like the B6.

As a side point; it became apparent when fitting this header that all 1.8 JDM Roadsters had a 370mm catalytic converter; the same as 1.6 models, whereas for US and most European models, it was a 440mm cat. Effectively, a Japanese market header for a 1.8 is 70mm too long. To fit the BBK header, a custom adaptor had to be made up.

To fit a JDM header to a 1.8, you may need to also fit a 1.6 cat.. In addition, Roadsters don't have EGR valves.

Looks pretty darn good! Wonder how it pulls...

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
maxim works m-silent

pretty expensive around $600 w/o shipping, but it's well worth it, probably one of the lightest headers out there around 11 lbs (maybe except for the a-rf full titan one)
excellent torque all around. i think spoon contracts w/ these guys to build their honda headers.

Damn, if only we can get these in the states. $600 is pretty damn good compared to the price of the Pitcrew ones. I went all the way to Tokyo for the Pitcrew headers and got no luck. Hell it was multiple subway transfers, 5 hours by train and then by foot. Yes, that was crazy to even try so I gave up. Sigh...

·
Registered
379 Posts
They are 4-2-1. I still didn'd went to dyno them.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a BSP 4 into 1 on my street car. I had problems with it overheating and breaking (splitting) at the collector when I had it fully wrapped and was running on the track. After the second time I had it repaired, I removed the header wrap from the all but the first half of the primaries and had no further problems. The power gain was noticeable on the track but less so on the street.

The header is going into my roommates '90 with his "new" '99 motor if it fits, otherwise I'll put it back on my street car when I replace the motor in it later this month. I will most likely build a custom header from thin wall SS U-bends for the race car unless I can find something big enough off the shelf (I'm looking for 1.65"/42mm ID, IIRC).

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
JR header, ceramic coated, on my 1.6.

adds to the mid and upper range. it flows into an FM hi-flo cat into a roadster sport. i modified my JRCAI to be stronger and to fit the larger opening of an RX-7 VAF. everything together feels better than stock.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had a BSP 4 into 1 on my street car. I had problems with it overheating and breaking (splitting) at the collector when I had it fully wrapped and was running on the track. After the second time I had it repaired, I removed the header wrap from the all but the first half of the primaries and had no further problems. The power gain was noticeable on the track but less so on the street.

The header is going into my roommates '90 with his "new" '99 motor if it fits, otherwise I'll put it back on my street car when I replace the motor in it later this month. I will most likely build a custom header from thin wall SS U-bends for the race car unless I can find something big enough off the shelf (I'm looking for 1.65"/42mm ID, IIRC).
Is your BSP ceramic? If yes, then I think that's the reason for cracking at the welds/joints.

Custom header? Sounds sick. Keep us posted.

·
Banned
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
maxim works m-silent

Damn, if only we can get these in the states. $600 is pretty damn good compared to the price of the Pitcrew ones. I went all the way to Tokyo for the Pitcrew headers and got no luck. Hell it was multiple subway transfers, 5 hours by train and then by foot. Yes, that was crazy to even try so I gave up. Sigh...
Of all the replies so far, this one looks all quality...anymore?

·
Sponsor
1,963 Posts
the problem w/ the pitcrew is that for US cars, since the headers are the hi-rise type they tend to go stick out further sideways than normal headers would so you may encounter problems w/ the header hitting the steering assembly....i have seen this problem on hachis where a lot of ppl buy some really trick looking header and it won't fit. :cry:

the pitcrew and a-rf headers are still works of art though.

1 - 20 of 133 Posts