ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine it's easily possible. But would it be cost-effective? Do I have to get a custom exhaust? or custom anything?

I'm not looking for gobs of power, but since i have somewhat low compression in 3 of 4 cylinders, rather than doing a rebuild, what if i just tried to source a newer, low mileage engine?

If in the future I decided to get more power (i.e. FI), I figure I'll have a better starting point.

I saw an '03 engine for $975 on m.net not too long ago. And, I figured this question must have been posed on here and m.net, but i couldnt find any threads (perhaps due to lack of search terms).

So what does the collective brain trust of CR say?

Edit: PS, i'd also probably be able to sell my 1.8L, 90k motor, as an added bonus! right?

·
Registered
563 Posts
Cost effective: I have heard of an 01+ motor going for around $1200. For a bump of maybe 15 Hp and 15-20 Lb-ft. I wouldn't say its worth it.

Not to mention you would have to swap from OBD1 to OBD2 (not sure how involved that is).

Personally I would look for another low mile 94-97 1.8L or just rebuild the one you got. It will be much cheaper and with the money you save you can buy some "go-fast" bits.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
01+ engines are actually cheaper than '99-'00s.

Biggest difficulty is controling the VVT which can be done with an aftermarket ECU like the AEM, freedom (although its in Japanese), Hydra (worlds worst tuning interface from what I hear but has FM support), MoTeC (world's most expensive), or Haltech (not sure about it's VVT control) . It's not going to be exactly plug and play. THe exhaust on all the 1.8s is the same so you can get a 94-97 header and exhaust. There's a few people who have done the swap. I know Chikara in BC has done it at least once.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Some of the early 1.8s still use the same type of computer as the 1.6 (but retuned)

If yours is one of those you can buy the latest Wolf ECU that is a plug in for the 1.6 Miata/MX-5 loom.

I'm pretty sure it can control the VVT but best to contact them.

·
3,857 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but I was wondering...

What about the 04-05 MSM engine and gearbox?
Are these engines better? (since they were made to work with FI from the factory)
How much money that would be?

Do the MSM have the VVT system?
Is there any way that the LINK ECU can work with these engines...?

·
3,857 Posts
So this would be a nice swap, especially if it's combined with the 6-speed gearbox...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts