ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was heading to Ocean City and had gone about 80 miles out the the 160 between lancaster and Ocean City. So all of the sudden my headunit blinks a few times then dies. Then my airbag light started blinking. So I moved as far from the wheel as possible then . Then the car started to feel like a dirtbike with the choke on, and the tach was going insane, floating at what would be 10,000rpm and just staying there and then floating around more. So I turned around and started heading home - It got to the point where I couldn't pull away from a stop light so I pulled over. After sitting for about two minutes my car had enough juice to pull away. I had to stop like this about 10 times at least the way home. BARELY made it back - almost couldn't make it over the hill with a stop light 5 miles from my house - of course the light was red. And now it won't start. So - *** is going on? It seems like the belt / pully might be losing contact with each other when it gets over a certain RPM though that would be weird. Maybe its just the alternator taking a crap? But does that affect how the motor runs? I don't know a whole lot about electrical systems at all... So what do you guys think?

Oh and another important detail - when I bought the car the guy was like HEY! I EVEN PUT A NEW BATTERY IN IT! Which kinda made me think... why did it need a new one? I think I know now!

PS I also posted on m.net but it got moved out of the NA section and go figure, still no responses.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Its alternator time for you!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
Those are some strange problems. I too think it's probably the alternator. There are shops that can test the alternator to see if it's bad, you may want to try that before you get a new one and spend the money there.
-Ryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts