ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I've used the search but I couldn't find much on V-Maxx. I don't know if they are the same as Racelands, so therefore I opened this topic.

The V-maxx are pretty cheap and accessible for a student like myself. But if I can trow them out in a year I might as wel save up for a good set of coilovers. So what is really the biggest issue with the V-Maxx? Since flying miata modifies them they can't be all bad?

If they leak very quickly you can pretty much trow them out, but things like the springs can be replaced, right?

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
I've heard nothing but good things about them. FM's Keith had posted about them on this very board a few times. Do a search.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mostly daily. I'm not planning on going very low either. Just eliminate as many body roll as possible. Maybe 1 of 2 trackdays a year in the future...

My main concern is safety and durability. I don't want to replace my coilovers every year, and I don't want a car that becomes unsafe because of sucky suspension

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate to buy them in that case, they'll be perfect for you. You can always pop on a big swaybar if you need more one wheel spring rate.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I think they'll be fine. Whether they look identical, or even if they shared some of the same parts as racelands, they've been proven to be much better performing through shock dyno. Enjoy a good product at a great price, their backed by one of the safest bets in the game. FM will not f*ck you over. They're good people.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Anyone have any idea of how many miles these are good for under DD conditions.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I think the main issue with Vmaxx coilovers is how people use them (slammage). I've heard that at a reasonable ride height they are pretty decent.

·
Registered
401 Posts
They are a "sleeve over" coil. Thats the problem...
There is nothing wrong with a sleeve coilover. If the shock bodies are shortened (not sure if the Vmaxx shocks are or not) and you run the car at a reasonable height, you won't have any travel issues. Koni and ground control is one of the best suspension combos available and those are sleeves.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I roll them on my car and swear by them. I've yet to get on the track with them, but under DD conditions they are great. Stiff and solid but not uncomfortable. The hardly ride any rougher than stock. I got the NB setup on my NA which makes the travel a little longer. They are definately not made for slammage though, which is clearly stated by FM and V-maxx.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I have the FM V-Maxx coils on my 2001 NB. I installed them last summer and so far I have ZERO complaints. I love the way my car feels.

·
Registered
163 Posts
The problem: they are the same color and basic shape as racelands, so Internet tough guys pretend they are racelands, which are known to suck.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The problem: they are the same color and basic shape as racelands, so Internet tough guys pretend they are racelands, which are known to suck.
Are racelands really that bad for DD use? I've been reading up and looking for opinions from people that actually have them and haven't heard any real complaints. I just want something fairly inexpensive that has a good ride for DD only. I currenly have bilsteins w/stock springs (I think) so I'm not in a rush to get anything, just looking

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been running with these for the past 6 months and I have zero complaints. They are stiffer than stock, but not too bad on smoother roads. I wouldn't want to drive across the country with them, but this isn't what they were designed for. My ride height is 11" Front, 11.5" Back, which is a a little lower than FM recommends too.

If taking a circular freeway on-ramp at 70+ mph is bad for ~$600 bucks, I really want to see what "great" coilovers could do. Oh, I have the FM sways too. Now that I think about it, I can't say anything bad about FM products period. They are a great company with a great bunch of people running it.

Yeah, I'm still hanging around; just very busy with college atm.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
I've had these on my car for about 11 months / 13,000 miles. They're very good for the money. Firm but not too harsh, and capable of handling everything from normal DD use to AutoX to the race track. I've had them at 11.5"F / 11.5"R since I installed them.

After nearly a year of fairly aggressive use, they still feel good but I can tell that they've been used. I suspect these coils will give me 20k miles total of decent performance at my current rate of use and height... but then again, I feel like they're getting the crap beaten out of them because of my usage and height. At a < 12" ride height, the coilovers are subject to bottoming out on the bumpstops in intense situations (things that make you grit your teeth and prep for impact; also sudden compression during hard cornering). If I was at 12" or whatever is recommended, they would probably last a lot longer. But hey, 11.5" looks good. :)

Another good thing to note is that V-maxx and Flyin' Miata V-maxx are two different coilovers. Sorta. FM specifies their own spring rates and bump stops. The result is you get a better coilover AND excellent customer service/support. I would heartily recommend the FM V-Maxx for daily and light track use.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've had them for 10,000 trouble free wonderful miles. They are stiffer than stock but the car feels much more composed. The only difference between the regular ones and FM ones are the bumpstops and rear valving and spring rate. Oh yea, FM gives a 2 year warranty!

·
Supporting Member
106 Posts
putting my flame suit on..
I bought racelands because I really had no budget for my car at the time, and I couldnt stand skyscraping and all that body roll. after I put them on I was actually pretty impressed by a $300 coilover setup. I have no other experience with miata coilovers, but they felt comparable in ride quality to tein basics on my 2000 prelude. I wanted about 2 months before getting a proper alignment (made an even bigger difference)
and I honestly have to say I'm not in a huge hurry to replace them. that said, I only autoX once or twice a year. this is pretty much DD status, with unmolested frame rails lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Racelands are not the same as V-maxx from what I understand now. They mostly look the same. I've bought the v-maxx (normal ones, not FM), and the guy that sold them to me said that the v-maxx now has a product manager who keeps a close eye on the manufacturing. Raceland doesn't have this.

Too bad my car isn't driving atm, and I have to wait a few months before I can put them under my car...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts