ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

i am looking at the one on the miata.... looks like the shotgun but the muffler looks like motorcycle mufflers?

·
Banned
198 Posts
Why would you ask the world before just sending me a pm, lol?

I built it to run with a diffuser. It's 3" full stainless with Hindle titanium Supersport cans. The whole thing from the ports back including a modified Boig 4-1 header weighs less than a stock header by itself.

Tacked up:

Finished:

·
Banned
198 Posts
They look pretty heinous up close. I was using my buddy's Hobart TIG, and I just can't seem to make nice with it. They're solid, though.

·
Banned
198 Posts
That inventory clearance sale has some really good deals in it. I may grab a couple of the old style mufflers to use for bodies and end caps....

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
What diffuser where you going to use with it?
Nice work regardless though, in for sound clip.

·
Banned
198 Posts
Eh... It sounds pretty flat and unremarkable right now. I need to add a resonator and I've been chasing exhaust leaks for months now. I thought it was the slip fits at the header collector and the muffler inlets, so I tried sealing them up with a several of increasingly nasty and permanent goos, but I the last time I pulled them off I realized that the v-bands were leaking. The ones I used were cheap, and are a little warped after welding, but since they have a locator ring in one side, you can't just plane them flat. I'm going to replace the header flange gasket with a new OEM one and sand the locator ring off the male side flange the next time I can get the car in the air, but I just haven't had time lately to mess with it.

As for the diffuser, I do my own carbon fiber bits for side money (when I can find the time between school and working on cars to make ends meet), so I'm going to do my own chin spoiler, splitter, flat belly pans, side skirts and diffuser. Hypothetically. Maybe.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Where else would you be able to get a slim muffler like that. Not necessarily a motorcycle one that costs 300 dollars. I'm really thinking about making a similar center exit, dual tip setup. Or possibly even a single muffler with a small enough Y splitter at the tip. I like the look of the smaller tips, close together and the metal trim/plating riveted on.
While these cars are 50+ years old, they are somewhat inspiration for my miata build.

Attachments

1 - 15 of 15 Posts