ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get a new small 110v flux-core wire welder for $130 shipped brand new or a new small 110v stick welder for $75 shipped. I have used a wire welder a couple times but never an arc welder. both of these machines are cheap and probably crappy but i just want something to learn to weld on. I plan on using it to weld exhaust, patch sheet-metal, and various other small repairs. what would you guys recommend for learning?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I have only used miller and Hobart welders. My best advice would be, try and find a local vocational school and see if they offer a class on welding.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
if you want to learn how to weld then get a stick welder its just more simple to under stand.

with a mig welder and 110v i wouldnt do it without gas. A 110 mig welder with flux core does not puddle well.

if i were to get a cheap welder which i will be doing so soon i would get a eastwood 110v for 299.00 which is an awesome price.

and then i would get 75/25 argon co2 mix and run solid wire. if you do this you will thank me later.

i weld for a living and i use full c02 and flux core wire and it welds of for what i do but i long for argon and solid wire its so clean.

And also the 110v with gas would be awesome for exhaust and small things.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I agree with taking a night school class, then buy a good welder. 110v=****

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
110 does not equal **** it just limits you to thinner metal and less duty cycles.

How do you figure that 110 equals crappy. Honestly for exhaust and small things they are just fine.

You can weld up to 3/16s with a 110v with penetration.

I doubt you could do a whole lot but still a great beginner welder. And you don't need to take a class you just need to read or know someone to show you.

Most important thing about welding is to just do it. And do it a lot. Reading does nothing without doing it. Welding is something you have to do to understand it and grasp it.

Tip angle/ tip height/ wire speed/ heat and applying those to the situation is all what you have you learn. Also pushing or pulling your puddle.

You will understand the more You Do it.

·
Administrator
817 Posts
When I started out welding. I started with a stick welder then went to a flux core wire welder.

The stick welder was easier to learn on than the wire. the 110v wire welder want not that good. I currently use a Lincoln Electric Migpak 180 at home with 75/25 argon mix. It is a 220v welder. So I had to run a 220v outlet in my Garage.

Alot of work and costs way more, But well worth the investment. I have done cat back exhausts with the stick welder and body work.

I would start with the stick welder and then move up if it is something you would want to pursue.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Most vocational schools, and some smaller colleges offer programs to teach and certify welding. I took a few classes just for fun. Grasp the entire concept of welding and then look into buying a welder. Buying something cheap is probably going to disappoint and make it very hard to weld, let alone how to learn to weld the right way. Browse craigslist and look for deals. Every once in a while you can find great stuff at a major bargain.

I would try and save up for something that runs on 220. Its just going to be more versatile, better to have enough power, than not enough.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I agree stick welding is great to start on.

But you do not need 220 to lay a decent weld or learn on.

I had a lincoln 220 185 welder running 75/25 and it was very nice it was not neccesary.

But I guess it all depends on what you want it for. The 110 is far sufficient for exhaust.

Also taking some classes would help. I didn't but in sure it would of helped me.

But if you do get a cheap welder and learn on it when you pick up a nice welder you will fall in love.

·
Administrator
817 Posts
I agree stick welding is great to start on.

But you do not need 220 to lay a decent weld or learn on.

I had a lincoln 220 185 welder running 75/25 and it was very nice it was not neccesary.

But I guess it all depends on what you want it for. The 110 is far sufficient for exhaust.

Also taking some classes would help. I didn't but in sure it would of helped me.

But if you do get a cheap welder and learn on it when you pick up a nice welder you will fall in love.

^^^^^All True. I am in love with my migpak 180. But it does get expensive. Welder. welding cart, tank and all the little stuff will add up. I fabricating a new downpipe yesterday and am going to do my catback tonight.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
yea and then when you want to get into stainless and aluminum it just adds to it. But its all great to learn.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts