ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
If you're only priority is to extinguish the flame then go ahead and use BC. If you happen to catch the fire early enough and you'd like to make any salvage attempt a bit easier I'd go ahead and spend the extra money on a Halon/Halotron fire extinguisher instead. The difference is whether you want to pay for it now or pay for it later.

Automotive Fire Extinguishers: What's The Big Deal?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
NOPI special believe it or not. I'm sure its rebadged from another manufacture. Quality design and available at your local pep boys. Just make sure the charge dates are recent...

·
Registered
402 Posts
Anyone priced two and a half pounds of Halon recently? Somewhere in the $150-200 range. I'll stick with the $35 2.5lb BC extinguisher and deal with the cleanup. If I'm spraying it it probably needs to be replaced anyway. ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
The powder in your normal dry chemical BC extinguisher is very corrosive, particularly to aluminum. The stuff also gets into electrical contacts and causes problems down the road.

So a dry chem extinguisher works fine, particularly if you think you won't be keeping the car after even a minor fire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts