ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into some lighting upgrades; one thing I am looking into is led replacement bulbs for tail lights for the faster response time, lower power requirement, and I like the look of led lighting in a diffused housing. There is a vast selection of bulbs from stupid cheap ebay ones to v-led's fantastic bulbs but not too many "this is what this type of bulb looks like in this housing" photographs.

So I present the question to you: What light emitting diodes are you utilizing? Follow on of where did you get em and what do you think about them?

·
Premium Member
2,938 Posts
LED's in reflectors designed for halogen, while will light faster will not be as bright as a halogen bulb

That and factor in there are no decent cheap plug and play bulbs

Best bet would be to do a complete LED retrofit with clear alteza tails (you can then tint the outer lens whatever color)

·
Supporting Member
1,146 Posts
That is kind of vague. There are many styles of LED bulbs to choose from from simple dim bulbs to complex, multi-bulb towers to 1watt SMDs that are blindingly bright (the kind Audi and Porsche use as running lights).

LEDs are a good choice for brake lights, not because of power savings which I don't care about but because they're brighter and crisper than incadescent bulbs provided you start with the right bulb. They're expensive and unnecessary but cool to have.

BTW, LED brake lights can be made to strobe if you want.

·
Supporting Member
1,529 Posts
i wouldnt recommend led brake lights because if its led with red lens, theyre pink (unless you get yellow/amber leds). if you use red leds with clear lens you give the people behind you headaches from low frequencies. and if your red leds are actually bright... well then theyre fricken bright.

edit: if it were me id stick to red lens with amber leds, i doubt it would be any nicer than halogens.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
I haven't found any LED bulbs that will illuminate the rear turn signals as well as incandescent bulbs. That said, the brake bulbs work very well with 1157 3w Luxeons. I ran these for a while before rewiring my OEM tail lights for a Garage Vary style look. Don't overpay for V-LEDS, just order from superbrightleds.com

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I'm not really a fan of LEDs in larger housings, because i think that taking advantage of the larger surface area is better than having one intense pinpoint of light, but in my Volvo, there is almost no surface are at all. I used some "eagle eye 5" from autolumination. The 5W element is incredibly bright. The smaller SMT elements.. meh.

They've added all kinds of intriguing designs to their catalog since then though: http://autolumination.com/1156_1157.htm

·
Registered
141 Posts
I got some switchback leds for the front turn signals.
60 smd switchback 1157 from ebay. ~$8

They light up white, for a kind of daytime run light, but signal amber.

The white is a little blueish, but they work fine. No pics becasue I just tested them, haven't got around to modding my flasher to get rid of the hyper flash.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts