ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so random-ish question.

Let us say that you want to run a 15x8 wheel. Let us also say that you did not want to run fender flares, but rolling of the fenders (to a certain extent...not really PJ Bonafacio style) is definitely not out of the question.

What offset would you want to run? 0? +10? +15? +20?

* In addition, what would be a good size tire to run. We're talking performance here, not really looks. I think a 225/50/15 would be great, but I'm not sure that would fit under stock fenders, or even rolled/stretched fenders.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I'm sure the 205/50/15 would fit fine....but...I was running 205/50/15's on 15x6 wheels, so if I'm going to buy a 2" wider wheel, I'm sure as hell going to try and put some more meat on there.

I agree, the 949 wheels are a great design, just...I'm not a big fan of the way they look #-o

·
Registered
152 Posts
The 15x8s are in +40 and +36. He says that the 225/50/15 rs2 will fit in the rear, (rubs on front), and 225/45/15 rs2 fit front and rear with no rubbing. Those were on +40 offset with no flares or pulling/rolling.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Haha. The guys there were 'lowered' at about 12~13 inches... If you check out the announcement thread at m.net theres alot of fitment questions that he answered. Im supposed to be writing an english paper right now so Im going to pass at digging up the link. sorry

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
^ and probably no lowering lol
Sub 12" ride height with 10/6kg Flex coilovers that have more travel than stock, no bottoming. I'm at the track with Speedventures in one of my Miatas pretty much every weekend. I'm about as far from a street poser as you'll find. 6UL's are race wheels designed for minimum ride height, maximum wheel travel, big brakes, turbos and the biggest stickiest race tires.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sub 12" ride height with 10/6kg Flex coilovers that have more travel than stock, no bottoming. I'm at the track with Speedventures in one of my Miatas pretty much every weekend. I'm about as far from a street poser as you'll find. 6UL's are race wheels designed for minimum ride height, maximum wheel travel, big brakes, turbos and the biggest stickiest race tires.
I just wish that you had another spoke design, otherwise I'd be sold :lol: Although, I have been looking at the wheels again. I'll probably be picking up a set of your lugnuts, regardless. I just don't really like the look of the 6UL wheels :(

·
3,857 Posts
I just wish that you had another spoke design, otherwise I'd be sold :lol: Although, I have been looking at the wheels again. I'll probably be picking up a set of your lugnuts, regardless. I just don't really like the look of the 6UL wheels :(
They are great wheels but I don't like them either :roll:
No lip at all :|
Why don't you try the Sportmax 501?
Beautiful wheels, lightweight and cheap!
The offset is not bad, many people run 205 w/o problems and you might be able to fit 215 with the right camber and rolling fenders... (but that's an estimated guess since no one has tried it yet).

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ideal offset for what use? Maximum grip ? Max lip? Autocross, drift?
Maximum grip, I suppose. Drifting is fun, but I think grip is the way to go :)

I thought about Sportmax's, both the 501's and the 002's. They look neat and are dirt cheap...therefore, everyone has them :( Brad had a set, Nick has 2 sets, there are several 240's around town with them, and half the people on CR.net seem to have them :lol:

After taking a long, hard look at my car today, I decided that I really like the factory 14's :oops: I noticed a Miata at a recent autocross that was running 225/40/14's....T1R's, I think? The wheels were Team Dynamics, 14x7 most likely. So I want to look at my options for 14" tires.

Are the stock 7-spoke jobbies 14x6 or 14x6.5? I'm guessing that said 225/40/14 wouldn't be a very good fit for them.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Remember grip comes from the tire, not the wheel. Choose what will be the grippiest tire within your budget then choose a wheel to support it properly.

Max race tire grip hacking fenders is 275/35/15 Hoosier A6 on +25 15x10
Max race tire grip stock fenders 225/45/15 Hoosier A6 on 15x8 +36
Max street grip 225/45/15 Hankook RS2 on 15x8 +36

-3* camber 11.5/11.8" ride height, roughly 8-10kg front springs, 6-7kg rear springs

With the +15 Sportmax you will either have to raise the car above 12" to run 225's or run narrower, shorter tires. If you use 205 Azenis you can go below 12" but you'll need to roll the fenders, maybe pull them a little and use max negative camber. On a budget for street car the Sportmax/ 205 Azenis isn't a bad option. I would not use the non heat treated, fake 3 piece Sportmax on a racetrack though. Several times now I've seen the fake bolts on Sportmaxes pop out when the wheels get hot at the track. Scary.

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
^^that is some good advice right there.

lip is overrated. if you push the wheel too far out, you will experience noticably more trammeling. there are more sizes available for 15" than 14", that being said, i still like my 14" because i can get relatively cheap r-compounds for them (which i use for daily driving).

·
3,857 Posts
Remember grip comes from the tire, not the wheel. Choose what will be the grippiest tire within your budget then choose a wheel to support it properly.

Max race tire grip hacking fenders is 275/35/15 Hoosier A6 on +25 15x10
Max race tire grip stock fenders 225/45/15 Hoosier A6 on 15x8 +36
Max street grip 225/45/15 Hankook RS2 on 15x8 +36

-3* camber 11.5/11.8" ride height, roughly 8-10kg front springs, 6-7kg rear springs

With the +15 Sportmax you will either have to raise the car above 12" to run 225's or run narrower, shorter tires. If you use 205 Azenis you can go below 12" but you'll need to roll the fenders, maybe pull them a little and use max negative camber. On a budget for street car the Sportmax/ 205 Azenis isn't a bad option. I would not use the non heat treated, fake 3 piece Sportmax on a racetrack though. Several times now I've seen the fake bolts on Sportmaxes pop out when the wheels get hot at the track. Scary.
Hey Emilio
Did you get the 275/35/15 A6 and the 15x10?
Initially you were thinking about ET10 but I bet this would hit inside the rear fenders in the NAs, is that the reason you reconsidered?

I agree with everything you said above except about the fake bolts in the sportmax pop out on the racetrack.
1) It's very hard to happen but I saw it with your eyes I wouldn't argue...
2) In any case these bolts are these only for aesthetics, they are plastic and weight almost nothing. Loosing one of them would be as dangerous as loosing the stickers out of your wheels...

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I just spent about an hour and a half this morning downloading with Bill Schenker. He has whats probably the fastest street prepared Miata autocrosser in the country. He's done a few events with the 275 Hoosiers already and has come to the simple conclusion that they are abput 1 to 1.2 sec faster than the previous 225/45/13 on 13x9 or 225/45/15 on 15x9 on a 60 sec course. Bill's not a a knob, he was 2nd at nationals this year and he one just about every pro event he entered last year with his co-driver.

He had originally planned on lower offsets but I told him their was a lot more room in back than most people thought. So he had some 15x10 Keizers made with a 6.25" backside setting. He'll be at El Toro this Friday with a film crew so I'm gonna drop by to check out his car, take some measurements and whatnot. Can't wait to see thos bad boys. I'll post pics, manwhile there's some more info on the 275's here: http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=212562

1 - 20 of 22 Posts