ClubRoadster.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will stick to my guns as far as an open loud intake is concerned. But the report on K&N filtering capability is mildly troubling. Ive seen APEXi intakes and they don't look that much different in filtering media.

What about sponges? I remember reading that they aren't supposed to filter as well, but I can't remember for sure.

I'll take the trade-offs of the K&N, but if there is a smarter way I rather do that.

·
Registered
931 Posts
I have a K&N air filter. it makes my oil black faster and gives coats of oil on my MAF. i just clean it with crc maf cleaner and everything is fine. Well I'm only a mr2 owner, what do I know.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
yeah, they're like parakeets. just repeat what other people say

low offset is bad
k&n filters are bad
6speed trannies w/final 4.3 is of the antichrist
blah blah blah

·
Registered
373 Posts
yeah, they're like parakeets. just repeat what other people say

low offset is bad
k&n filters are bad
6speed trannies w/final 4.3 is of the antichrist
blah blah blah
If those wine & cheesers had it their way,anyone that modifies a miata that is not up to their standard(luggage rack,vent rings,style bar,classic wire wheels & the list goes on)would have their balls cut off.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Re: M.net K&N Bashing... What other filters are out there?

In my last Roadster, I ran a HKS Powerflow filter for at least 80k miles (well, not the filter element; fresh HKS ones went in about every 15k miles). That filter has got big holes in it. By all rights, it should trash an engine. At 130k miles, the enine, a 1.6 with moddied intakes and exhaust, was tested on a rolling road. 124hp at the flywheel. I was more than happy with that; at the very least, it indicated the engine was in a healthy state (this car was routinely hammered in hillclimbs and sprints at the time). At the same session, a NB-FL made bang on the money, as well as a stock 96 1.8.

People's worries about different filter media, after seeing the various amateur tests, are understandable, as they can only go by what they see in these tests, which can look pretty alarming. I think though most of these tests, which usually involve a vacuum cleaner at some point, are fundamentally flawed, as they dismiss the function of the oils used, and indeed some of the materials used in the filters themselves. And in any case, we have not seen much evidence of premature engine failure due to any of these filters. Of course, engines in some of these engines might grenade anyhow, buts thats usually due to the chavvy owner just raking the car, and forgetting to put any oil in it.

Name-calling does no one any favours. I see the same stereotypes appearing here as well, only over different issues, whether thats trivial matters like nose badges, wheels etc.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

In my last Roadster, I ran a HKS Powerflow filter for at least 80k miles (well, not the filter element; fresh HKS ones went in about every 15k miles). That filter has got big holes in it. By all rights, it should trash an engine. At 130k miles, the enine, a 1.6 with moddied intakes and exhaust, was tested on a rolling road. 124hp at the flywheel. I was more than happy with that; at the very least, it indicated the engine was in a healthy state (this car was routinely hammered in hillclimbs and sprints at the time). At the same session, a NB-FL made bang on the money, as well as a stock 96 1.8.

People's worries about different filter media, after seeing the various amateur tests, are understandable, as they can only go by what they see in these tests, which can look pretty alarming. I think though most of these tests, which usually involve a vacuum cleaner at some point, are fundamentally flawed, as they dismiss the function of the oils used, and indeed some of the materials used in the filters themselves. And in any case, we have not seen much evidence of premature engine failure due to any of these filters. Of course, engines in some of these engines might grenade anyhow, buts thats usually due to the chavvy owner just raking the car, and forgetting to put any oil in it.

Name-calling does no one any favours. I see the same stereotypes appearing here as well, only over different issues, whether thats trivial matters like nose badges, wheels etc.
How often do you change your oil?

That test made sense to me, but then ive done ZERO research into air filtration. I have nothing to balance it against.

Anyway to hijack my own thread. I want to ditch my stock intake pipe and have my engine pull air from in front of the alternator. Ive been thinking about ways to modify my RB to do this. Before I start cutting, are there any systems out there that already do this?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
just ignore those guys.

I just clean my filter every few months, when I was running it. like every other oil change, or after a trip to willow, its really dusty out there.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
K&N Filters?
Screw that, IRTBs ftw!!!
:D

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts

How often do you change your oil?

That test made sense to me, but then ive done ZERO research into air filtration. I have nothing to balance it against.

Anyway to hijack my own thread. I want to ditch my stock intake pipe and have my engine pull air from in front of the alternator. Ive been thinking about ways to modify my RB to do this. Before I start cutting, are there any systems out there that already do this?
Every 3-4000 miles. I've always paid more attention to the grade of oil than anything else. Not as bad as some people; 0W40 fully synthetics are a bit too thin for earlier cars. I've always stuck with decent 10W40 semi-synthetics.

HKS filters cannot be reoiled.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
The part I like.

BTW, the Blackstone analysts also told me that Silicon + Aluminum (as in what the engine is made of) = Aluminum Oxide

Unquote

I am not sure of the NC, but the NA & NB where cast iron blocks.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
I use an old diaper myself (used) that I brought in from Japan, Air Overnight, of course.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts

I have used an oily AEM filter, K&N cone and drop in, and currently have a dry AEM filter.

I like it so far. a little lighter then the wet ones and it looks to be getting better gas milage then the oily cone filters, and seems to make less noise too....not sure why.

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
I think after reading that thread, with all those facts, that I will remove my K&N FIPK ....

And use a BEGi S3 GT2560 instead.

Do you thing I will have any performace gains :)

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
^ You might see some gains.

After reading that thread I wanted to stop driving my car, because im afraid of damaging it.

If anything I will start putting around town at 1500rpm to be sure my engine lasts to 500K.

·
Registered
97 Posts

ahhhahahaha, M.net is always some good reading.. Such a bunch of haters that don't have any logical sense. "My friend's motor blew because his K&N wasn't giving him sufficient filtering and it broke down his oil." I don't see many IRTB people having issues? Maybe if his friend did more frequent oil changes then he wouldn't have "filtering" problems. Oil always gets old, and it goes for any grade, if you don't change it, it won't do what it's intended to do: keep the engine properly lubricated and capture dirt particles that enter through the intake side.

Sponge filters like HKS do less for filtering, it captures less debree going through; however, provides the best airflow. Through normal wear and tear, of course sponge filters will make holes, that's why HKS sells replacement filters for the mushroom heads.

K&N style filters however, provide a higher quality for filtering but hence lower airflow capacity.

The reason why people don't see gains from switching to a K&N drop in filter is because there's only so much air that it frees up when throwing it in. Only changing the intake arm will provide a better flow given that it will allow more air mass to travel through compared to the choked up plastic intake arm that comes with our cars. So you can't seek "noticeable" improvements with just a drop in filter.

As for filtering, if you're afraid of damaging your motor because of the filtering media, just use stock filters and change it frequently every couple oil changes. Or purchase whichever filter you think "works" for you, and continue to do scheduled oil changes on time. There's only so much an air filter can do, it's whether or not you maintain your car with oil changes that counts more..

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.