ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I can't have everything but the truth is that my miata is my daily car.

The new Rota wheels(17lbs) with heavy 215 tires (azenis 21lbs) are coming up soon and I believe the higher spring rates would control better the heavier wheels.

BTW I have the Chikara M2 mounts and KONI sport (all these in a 94).
I also have the cobalt brace and I believe soon I'll have again the butterfly brace and a roll bar!
So the car is pretty stiff.

What do you suggest?

M

·
0 Posts
Re: Spring Rates for GC+KONI for Daily driving+auto-x +Track days

JIC Magic
Stance
Ohlins
etc....

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What spring rates do you suggest guys?

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Spring Rates for GC+KONI for Daily driving+auto-x +Track days

JIC Magic
Stance
Ohlins
etc....
I was ready to place my order for one of these and I realized that my balance is currently negative #-o
Please give me your card's number and I'll complete my order :mrgreen:

·
2,708 Posts
How often do you plan to auto-x and do track days?

How much comfort are you willing to give up?

For reference, my friend with a 94 R-Package is running 600# hypercoils springs up front and 375# in the rear with race Konis. But he does track days at least twice a month with sticky rubbers. And its also his daily driver! Let me tell you, its painful.

Another friend that tracks his miata but mostly does autocross is using Koni sport with 525# up front and Koni race in the rear with 300# rates and its smooth as butter.

I'm running 500# F and 300# R with Tein Flex but I'm thinking about upgrading to 2.25ID (less weight!) Hypercoil springs (575#F and 350#R) once the weather gets cooler so I can goto track days/drift with sticky tires.

Here;s more info on the hypercoils, http://www.tripointengineering.com/information.php?info_id=12 < as you can see, you can get it in any increment and size you want. And if you do more googling, you can find shops that sell it for as little as $45 each, but the usual price is around $50. They also have a lifetime sag guarantee.

Regarding spring rates, the general rule of thumb with miatas is that once you go with stiffer springs, you want to keep a difference in rates between the front and back no smaller then 250#-300#. For example, if you are running 600# front, don't run anything stiffer then 350#-300# in the rear. By nature of its rwd design and 50/50 weight balance, you WANT the rears to be softer then the fronts, unless you got mad dorifto skills.

Another racer trick, get your car on some corner-weights. The weight of each corner should be the maximum rate of your springs. For example, your driver front weighs 600#, if you get a spring rate of 700#, it's overkill, the springs won't even move. The exception with miatas or tail-happy cars is, of course, the rears should be softer.

Another thing, the Koni sports won't be able to handle anything above 575#, you will need the race ones if you want to go stiffer.

I hope thats enough info to get you thinking!

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your excellent info ExHondaMan!

You didn't tell me anything about your current set up (500-300) how is it?
From your description (525=butter) it seems that it's supersoft, but I bet it's not!
Does anyone know what's the stock spring rates?

FYI I like to use the KONI's in the soft mode when I commute in the LA freeways, would that make any difference?

Just to know from your information it seems that 525-300 or 550-325 would be good for me.

I do like drifting (my auto-x buddy calls me drift boy #-o ) so I was thinking 525-325 or 550-350 but I also have a M45 with 8psi of boost which makes the car more prone to oversteer, so 325 difference would be probably OK.

·
2,708 Posts
I really like my set-up, and I thought it was really stiff at first, but I got used to it. In the twisties, my car has more pronounced body roll then I would like, even with the RB hollow front bar. Since your car still has creature-conforts I think 500f-300r would be perfect with your supacharged powa.

I don't remember off the top of my head but I think stock rates are below 200 front and rear, but I could be wrong.

(Edit. I just realized I made an error in my above post. I got my numbers reversed. My friend is running Race Konis up front and Sport Konis with the extended FM hat in the rear. 500# may be a bit too much for the Sports, but ok for the Race. I'll call up the local race shop today and clarify for you. Sorry.)

Another thing you might want to consider is the spring length. Depending on who you ask, some say to keep the factory rake so they use 6inch springs in the front and 7inch springs in the rear. Others that want more of the "JDM" look or have mad-driving skillz will go 6inch front and rear. Just keep in mind that the miata is designed with the rear higher to keep the rear end in check (and for more suspension travel in the rear), which is why most aftermarket coilovers have taller rear springs. The exception would be the Stance, Megan, and other "knock-offs".

BTW, if you are already running or planning on the GC/Eibach combo, you can get custom rates also

·
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you ExHondaMan
I asked you about your set up because I think what you consider butter for my that I'm used to the stock butter and want something more firm it might be ideal!

Suspension-wise, I just have chikara M2 mounts and KONI Sport.
I'm thinking to put Ground Control Coilovers with the above spring rates.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,671 Posts

How much comfort are you willing to give up?

For reference, my friend with a 94 R-Package is running 600# hypercoils springs up front and 375# in the rear with race Konis. But he does track days at least twice a month with sticky rubbers. And its also his daily driver! Let me tell you, its painful.

Another friend that tracks his miata but mostly does autocross is using Koni sport with 525# up front and Koni race in the rear with 300# rates and its smooth as butter.

I'm running 500# F and 300# R with Tein Flex but I'm thinking about upgrading to 2.25ID (less weight!) Hypercoil springs (575#F and 350#R) once the weather gets cooler so I can goto track days/drift with sticky tires.

Here;s more info on the hypercoils, http://www.tripointengineering.com/information.php?info_id=12 < as you can see, you can get it in any increment and size you want. And if you do more googling, you can find shops that sell it for as little as $45 each, but the usual price is around $50. They also have a lifetime sag guarantee.

Regarding spring rates, the general rule of thumb with miatas is that once you go with stiffer springs, you want to keep a difference in rates between the front and back no smaller then 250#-300#. For example, if you are running 600# front, don't run anything stiffer then 350#-300# in the rear. By nature of its rwd design and 50/50 weight balance, you WANT the rears to be softer then the fronts, unless you got mad dorifto skills.

Another racer trick, get your car on some corner-weights. The weight of each corner should be the maximum rate of your springs. For example, your driver front weighs 600#, if you get a spring rate of 700#, it's overkill, the springs won't even move. The exception with miatas or tail-happy cars is, of course, the rears should be softer.

Another thing, the Koni sports won't be able to handle anything above 575#, you will need the race ones if you want to go stiffer.

I hope thats enough info to get you thinking!
That is great info! Thank you for the very useful post!

·
2,708 Posts
[/quote]
That is great info! Thank you for the very useful post![/quote]

Thanks! DOn't forget I got the Race konis and Sport Konis reversed. The race will handle 500# and above no problem, but the Sports are a little iffy.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
hes 99% right, I run 450/375 and it does oversteer a little easier, too easy if your not used to it. I got mad dorifto skills... lol (not really)

but I think the bigger problem is when your on somthing like the concrete slab roads where the seams are repeating the car bounces back an forward like a seesaw, I dont know what the techincal term is. I can handle it if I speed up to 60 or slow down to like 25... lol

im agx, gc450/375, chikara tops.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts