ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am looking to get a plug and play ems but i am not too sure what brand to get. what do you guys think i should get?

also does any EMS support os x?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
by support OS X you mean does thier management software run on a MAC? good question.

Tell me what your goals are, car set up, your budget is, who is going to tune it, and your experience with ecus, and I can make a recommendations.

The more exposure I get to it, the more I think the Hydra is a good fit for most tuners. Very robust, good visability, easy to tune, and good miata specific support.

I've also tuned AEMs, Links, TEC 2s, and a Haltech in miatas. I've also had some motec exposure in other cars if you have a endless budget. :)

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i am thinking of getting a mp62 and keeping it on low boost running around 180 rwhp. nothing fancy i just want something better then a stupid "black box" so i can control timing and a/f ratio's....i will tune it myself with a wideband and i have never done any tuning before.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
what's your budget?

for those hp goals, the black box would work, and you'd have the benefit of a car that idled like it was running on a stock ecu.

if you are looking to do something on the cheap, I would look for a used link. Unless you have money to burn and are willing to take on the steep learning curve of a standalone ecu, I don't know that I'd look at anything else.

why do you want to go standalone at those poewr levels?

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
maybe i dont need a stand alone but i have about 4k to my budget and i want to get some more power to the miata so i rather do it right and not take a risk, but maybe i am just worring too much?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
some people will want you to go standalone, but for your power level, there really isn't a need. It adds complexity you don't need IMO.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Really wanna play with stuff and not spend too much?

AEM Wideband ~300-350$
Apexi AFC ~150-200$
MSD Ignition Box ~100$

All really simple stuff to install and use.

M

·
0 Posts
maybe i dont need a stand alone but i have about 4k to my budget and i want to get some more power to the miata so i rather do it right and not take a risk, but maybe i am just worring too much?
Just get an AEM wideband, a couple of dyno runs, and give me the remaining $3000 to paint my car!

:lol:

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Well wether or not to go with standalone I can't answer for you. But I can answer the OSX question. Only ECU I've seen work with OSX is MegaSquirt. You can use Mega Tunix but it's not the easiest thing to install but I do have instructions on how to if you want.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
not sure how Bill's link answers his questions?

You have very modest (realistic) power goals. Doing things as simple as possible is always best. The factory ecu runs the car drivability piece of the car better than 99% of the tuned ecu's out there. So making small changes to that are best if you can get away with that and still make your power goals.

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Thu Jun 22, 2006 10:37 am]not sure how Bill's link answers his questions as all it does is list a bunch of links for manufactures of ecu's.

You have very modest (realistic) power goals. Doing things as simple as possible is always best. The factory ecu runs the car drivability piece of the car better than 99% of the tuned ecu's out there. So making small changes to that are best if you can get away with that and still make your power goals.
it does not answer my questions but it was helpful to me.

you have been more help then anyone else in my search for what the best route for me to take. i have been doing some reading on using a standalone and from what i have read you are right on not changing it. i am just trying to find the best way for me to reach my goals and keep my car as a daily driver without having to worry about things going bad.

i am not going to go with a standalone, but i would like to know what you think on controling fule, preventing knock and detonation?

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
start gradually. Don't try to do everything at once if you haven't done it before. learn the pieces as you go.

If you try and do things custom and one off, it is harder. If BRP has a system that puts that kind of power out, they can help you set it up and tune it.

I would stay away from the MSD timing retard box. The bipes is simple to use and learn. You haven't mentioned what year car you have, but you should be pretty close to being able to control your power goals on stock injectors. (right on the verge)

·
Registered
145 Posts
noah: by stupid black box are you talking about the flyin miata voodo box? I have thought about running that with a wideband o2 for a while. Anybody with advice on this product wana chime in? hp limits?? driveability? Run a knock sensor too???? Im looking for the 180hp also......thats the limit of the stock 1.6 right?
Sorry for all the q's, Im most concerned about the voodo box!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts