ClubRoadster.net banner

what suspension do you run?

14K views 113 replies 68 participants last post by  Bryan 
Tomato, tomato. There may be a preferred usage but I can see how both could be applied to mean the same thing. I've seen them interchanged before and always thought that it was a US English vs. UK English thing.

damp·ing ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dmpng) n.
The capacity built into a mechanical or electrical device to prevent excessive correction and the resulting instability or oscillatory conditions.
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

damp·en ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dmpn)
v. damp·ened, damp·en·ing, damp·ens
v. tr.
To make damp.
To deaden, restrain, or depress: ?trade moves... aimed at dampening protectionist pressures in Congress? (Christian Science Monitor).
To soundproof.
Source: The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.

Race shocks = more frequent rebuilds
Hypercoils' hydraulic spring perches = rebuild every 6 hours

Real racing is labor intensive. The cars are usually built very stout but they require frequent servicing and rebuilding. I shudder to think what it takes to run a modern GT team, let alone a top-level vintage race car. I used to pit crew for a family friend who had a McLaren M8C. It was fun being invited to all the Can-Am reunions and meeting famous race car drivers but Gary ended up selling the McLaren when it was going to take another $250,000+ to get it ready to vintage race for the upcoming season. You need to completely disassemble race cars and have them checked over meticulously on a routine basis. Old racecars require this even more so. You don't want a suspension member to fail at 190mph at Watkins Glen or anywhere else for that matter.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.