ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys, one of the members on here is going to come take a look at my suspension and might buy it. I'm now trying to decide what to go with... I actually wanted to use this suspension but can't decide if I should let it go or not. I'm going to be building a track miata so the best suspension money can buy.. my budgets $1500.

My current suspension is the FM stage 1.5 (KYG 8way shocks, Flyin Miata springs, Flyin miata Pillow mounts)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why am I reading Stance is for drifting? On M.net

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So stance would be considered the best on a road course?

·
Esteemed Member
3,416 Posts
its not as simple as just buying parts for the best setup man.

but any of the following will be good, some better than others.

JIC FLT-A2
Ohlins
Stance
Tein Flex(a bit more street oriented)
Megan

stance, flex, the megans are under 1500

·
2,708 Posts
How much track experience do you have? How about maxin' out your own skillz and knowing the car before you get "The Best". Which is subjective anyways. But if you have to ask:

Koni Race: $250 EACH X 4
Hypercoil Springs: 725F 375R - $160
Threaded Coil-Over sleeve : $125
Used RB Front bar - market price

IMHO, this set-up owns any JDM or HKDM product.

In fact, it's my next set-up.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How much track experience do you have? How about maxin' out your own skillz and knowing the car before you get "The Best". Which is subjective anyways. But if you have to ask:

I don't have any track experience, I don't plan on going to the track with 90k mile suspension and blowing the shocks and risking my life. The reason I want the best is because I like doing it right the first time. What is RB?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Koni race?

·
Registered
324 Posts
For your objective, Tein Basics, or SS. Read on m.net about them, and you'll see the ones that own them like them, and are only using them for daily street duties. Get the SS if you actually want to adjust them. If you for some reason down the road want to go stiffer, Tein can do it. Stance, Megan don't offer the services like Tein does, not that they are bad, just from someone who got Teins and is quite pleased they didn't have to dish out big bucks for Koni RACE shocks as Tein offers custom valve jobs.

·
Registered
324 Posts

What's wrong with Flex's? Revalve them, and grab some the springs from Tein to your specs. One thing Koni doesn't have that your flex's got is adjustable shock height.

·
2,708 Posts
Trust me, the Koni race set-up is doooope. If you're on the cheap, you just get the Race for the fronts and use Sports for the rear matched with FCM mounts for extra travel. I've riden/driven in two such set-ups in a miata and have 3 friends that have the set-up (with different spring rates) in Hondas. The Honda guys were all coverts from Teins and 5Zigens. Adjustable shock height is nifty but they just allow you drop the car more for looks. You can only go so low before you won't be able to turn the car. The Konis Race shocks also allow for stiffer springs without re-valving. And just a clarification, the Koni "Race" shocks are different then the all-out-metalic ones Koni offers. I'm refering to the ones that are still yellow, but have shorter bodies and better valving then the "Sports".

700# fronts aren't really that stiff, it's what the cone-dodgers and Spec Miatas guys are using. I'm at 9k right now (530ish#) and I get too much nose dive under hard braking, which I don't like cause it unloads the rear and makes it "light".

BTW, I have Flexes right now, and I love them, don't get me wrong. Its a great compromise. But when it's time for my miata to be more of a dedicated track car, I'll be using Konis.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Pakman, if you're in the Bay Area come to the M.net In&Out meet next week in Mountain View and I'll give you a ride in my car. I'm on the KONI RACEs w/ 700/450 GC sleeves and an RB tubular front bar. I love it. I think it cost me just over $1700 shipped, and I bought everything new.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
heres what I found when I was researching the koni race shocks
This is the heart of the build and also where the streetability compromises come in. Do the wrong thing here and you can make your car a real pain (literally!) for street use. We like Koni shocks for a whole lot of reasons (quality, value, performance, support). The basic off-the-shelf Koni is a fine low-cost starting point (~$500), but will limit how far you can lower the car before hitting the bumpstops especially in the front. It will also limit you to springs rates not to exceed about 450 lbs. Next step up, at double that price, are the RACE-valved Konis, which are shorter and stiffer than the OTS variety. Some folks are finding they can get by with the RACE shocks in the front only, since the springs are usually stiffer there. From there, you move into the realm of custom-built, custom-valved Koni 2812 and 30-series shocks. These will maximize suspension travel, allow for any spring rate and are threaded-body to directly provide ride-height adjustment without coilover sleeves. Pricing starts about $2500 a set, so these are are only for the hi-end competitor looking for every advantage.

Coilover sleeves and springs are available from many sources. Some have found good success with the cheap stuff available for $50-$100 off EBay, though it can sometimes be tricky to verify the spring rates. After that, you move right into the ?good stuff? with real racing springs from the likes of Eibach and Hypercoil. Both Koni and Ground Control make good quality coilover sleeves. A GC kit of sleeves and springs is around $400.

As for spring rates, that depends a lot on your intended use and level of compromise. In short, stiffer springs require stiffer shocks to control them, which hurts the street ride. 550/350 is probably the stiffest you want to go for a car that sees a lot of street use. 400/250 is a really good compromise, while 700/450 seems to be the high-end for ultimate autocross-only performance.

One key ingredient is the use of alternate spring top mounts to provide additional suspension travel when lowering. Flyin Miata sells some very clever top mounts that extend travel by .75? but they are quite pricey at over $250 a pair. A similar effect can be achieved for about $50 total by using late-model 99+ Miata mounts modified as described earlier in the blog.
heres the link to the whole article
http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/news/category/project-cars/other-cool-cars-hanging-around-the-grm-office/1992-miata-sts2-project/

I would also add that in addition to hypercoil and eibach, another option is with Swift springs as well.

savington, what kind of ride height are you at, and what bump stops are you using? Im planning on upgrading to Race in the front and Sport in the rear in the not too distant future.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts