ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was getting an idle droop around 3 weeks ago, and my battery all of the sudden was completely dead after two days of the idle droop.
I charged her up, and all was good, until two days ago, where the same routine happened again, idle droop then dead battery.
Today I recharged the battery again, but this time, the idle droop was still there after the recharge. I was thinking about getting the battery tested, but autozone/kragen was already closed.
So fast forward a few hours, and I decide to take it for a drive. As expected, the battery was dead again. I charged her up again, and I started the engine. I was hearing this weird tapping noise coming from under the hood, so I pop the hood and take a look. The tapping noise develops to a periodic chirping noise. And out of nowhere, it made this loud screech for about 5 seconds. It doesn't sound like the belts to me, and I just had the belts replaced a few months ago, so I highly doubt the sound is coming from the belts.
After the screech, it went back to the periodic chirping noise, and I went to go turn off the engine. Right after I turned off the engine, this mass of steam/smoke came out. It was a white smoke. I tried restarting the engine, and it started, but it wouldn't hold its idle. I also noticed this whisping sound going through the vents.

Any idea what just blew?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies.
Would it be safe to drive about 2-3 miles to kragen/autozone if I charge the battery?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, so I tried recharging my battery and starting the car again. Same symptoms.
What could be the source of the white smoke? It doesn't feel or smell like steam.
I'm afraid it's refridgerant. It seems to be linked to the whisping sound in the vents when the engine is running. I backed out of my garage, and I noticed the clear and slimy substance my car left. It looks like refridgerant to me.
I tried turning on the AC while my car is on. The idle RPM didn't increase from the compressor turning on.
Could my condenser be leaking? I was just in a mild front end accident a month ago.
What could be the source of the smoke and the slimy substance?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I took the car to kragen today, and they helped determine that the battery was worn out, but the alternator was tested to be fine.
I got the battery replaced, but I'm still getting that odd whisping sound from the dash board. The AC seems to work fine, so I'm not sure what the deal is.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hmmm seems like there's a short somewhere.
My new battery just drained dry after I left it there for 9 hours.

·
CR.net Supporter
293 Posts
Do you have a multimeter? It's not too hard to test for a draw in the system.

Neg battery terminal - - - - Multimeter - - - - Neg battery cable

2-4 milliamps is acceptable. Make sure you key is off and you have no interior lights on or the latch in the door is in the closed position. If you added a trunk light make sure you disconnect that too. Then start pulling fuses one by one until you or a friend sees the meter drop to an acceptable level. Put the fuse back in if the value doesn't change. Once you find out which fuse drops the amperage down we can look at a wiring diagram and see what's on the circuit.

Does it still "smoke"? Usually when something electrical smokes it smells pretty bad.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts