ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, from what i gather on jackson racing site, the 99 Miata with the basic kit makes ~165rwhp (155 on Ca cars like mine). But would it be too much to expect that with a BBK crank pulley, and full exhaust for it to make ~180rwhp since the federal car makes 165 or so? that only be 15hp for 3-4more psi and a open exhaust.

Also, the 99 block is 9.6:1 compression, but i swapped in a 96 block with 9.0:1 , BUT its a rebuilt block so it would haev to been bored out to larger pistons. So would the increase in displacement make up for the lower comp? More tq? Woulda 99 head on a 96 block make more power then eithr a stock 99 block or a stock 96 block?

Im hoping that with the swapped/overbored block, bbk crank pulley, intercooler, 470cc injectors, SAFC,BTC and adding a smaller s/c pulley to hit the magical 200rwhp mark. Before i blew my compression, when it was just full exhaust and BK crank pulley.... it felt VERY strong...even with my BTC on full retard. Thats where i assume i was maybe hitting 180hp. Woudl it be out of question to find extra 20hp with a 62mm s/c pulley, injectors SAFC and the intercooler and everything tuned? I also assume with the intercooler and bigger injectors i might not have to pull timing out with the BTC...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
111 Posts
from what i gathered looking on m.net its hard as hell to get 200whp out of the M45 that the JR kits use.

With your lower compression you would be able to run more boost but then you risk going outside of the blowers operating rpm range.

I dont see why you should be able to get near 200whp, especially with the 99 head.

Keep the boost limited to 10psi above that the efficiency seems do drop off.

this is a good thread
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=169615&page=1&pp=25&highlight=m45+200whp

·
Registered
202 Posts
No matter what you do, put the 99 head on. From the info I have read, that is the head to have. Much better flow.

Not sure what numbers to expect. What octane are you running? Can you set it up to run 100 octane occasionally (seperate maps)? Do you have water injection? Either one, you will be able to get more timing out of it, thus better power.

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, i have a 99... so the head HAS to go back on lol.

I plan on running more like 12-13psi... im thinking that because of the intercooler i will be able to do this. That, and the Mini Cooper S comes with a M45 blower running 11psi stock.

Also, we do have a couple pumps around here with 100 octane... but no way in hell will i be running that daily!

·
3,542 Posts
If you're looking to push the M45 that far, I would suggest an aftermarket ECU. Piggybacks just won't cut it. Especially if you have a built engine, you're gonna have to have better control of the timing/fuelling curves.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts