ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm cleaning my engine bay, and I've noticed how much oil has leaked everywhere and dust/dirt caked onto the block and various other parts. What should I use to clean the bay? I know simple green and oil eater work great, but they mess up the aluminium. Is there something more aluminum friendly, that takes off a lot of the grime?

Also, the leaky oil beat up the electrical tape that wrapped the wiring looms. I wanna use some good shizz electrical tape. What do the pros use? I'm sure we have some electricians here.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Also, the leaky oil beat up the electrical tape that wrapped the wiring looms. I wanna use some good shizz electrical tape. What do the pros use? I'm sure we have some electricians here.
Pros don't use electrical tape, that sticky crap gets all over the place. Go to McMaster.com and search for this: 7643A33, it's self-fusing silicone rubber tape, excellent stuff without the stickiness you sickos [-X

·
Registered
76 Posts
Turbored et al
Please try good old fashioned mineral spirits (aka paint thinner.) Not lacquer thinner! It only costs a few dollars a gallon and cuts through grease, oil, dirt, etc. Will not harm anything that I know of and leaves only a little residue which disolves in soapy water. I use any kind of soft brush, rag, etc. to get where no hand belongs and it does a fantastic job. Try it and you will be amazed.
Best Always
Alden

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so after looking long and hard for silicone tape, ordered it from mcmaster. unfortunately, I found some at OSH right afterwards. Good stuff. It's like playing with fruit rolls.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use tar remover ( used for removing tar and salt after winterdriving ) Works great. After that use Turtle Super Wash shampoo. It is also a product for removing tar and salt. I think it is sold worlwide. Contains some wax to help bringing up the finish.

Do NOT use wheelcleaner, as it affects chrome ( most of them do contain lye )

1 - 12 of 12 Posts