ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats up guys. I know forums are always so kind to newcomers but I have a genuine question. I used the search function(yes I know there is one) and have been browsing this website and following threads for months now. My question is what parts would you recommend to buy first for a stock NA 1.6 miata. I'm am in the process of selling my static toyota hilux and am interested in making a clean little miata. Here is what I think I am going to buy when my return comes in:

Rota Shakostan 15x9 +0 rims
TOYO T1r 195/45/15 tires
Coilovers (might be racelands :domo:)
HDHCHT single diagonal no padding
Resonatod test pipe and cat-back exaust

Is there anything else you can think of that I should buy before this or something worth investing in prior to wheels or suspension or exhaust before I buy these? Just looking for some peace of mind. Thanks alot!

·
Motorboat Captain
13,644 Posts
Condoms. You're gonna need them.

·
Registered
202 Posts
i bought spare parts and repair-sheetmetal. :D then a paint job.

On the aftermarket side i guess a garage vary replica and a sports filter from piper cross.
Those where followed by a set of k-sport coil overs.
Then came rota shakotan 15x7 et+20
Next up was the kg works rear spoiler, a ashtray replacement storage box, and a mk3 mx-5 emblem for the back.

And thats about where i am right now.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Took it home, replaced plugs and wires, next day I changed the oil, next day after that i changed the diff fluid, next day after that I changed the belts, then i replaced the air and fuel filters, then I bled the brakes with ATE super blue. Then I replaced a leaky rear caliper. Bled the brakes again with pentosin super dot 4.

And now I bought my first mod, a shift knob.

·
Za Lord
3,358 Posts
Rota Shakostan 15x9 +0 rims
TOYO T1r 195/45/15 tires
Coilovers (might be racelands :domo:)
HDHCHT single diagonal no padding
Resonatod test pipe and cat-back exaust
You asked for opinions....

Skip the stance garbage.

Do the roll bar. For sure, there's nothing wrong with safety. Go for the resonated test pipe, but don't jump to the cat back just yet. Coil overs? You just want to lay frame because you think it's cool. It's not. Go for a spring/strut combo like a tokico setup, and see how that works. In fact, do just that since your stock suspension is likely spent anyhow. Then drive it like that and see how it feels. Get wheels that FIT. Properly. 195s on a 9" wide wheel? Unless you're tracking it, I wouldn't go wider than 7, and stretched tires looks like garbage. And maybe an intake, and fab yourself a heat shield for it.

Your car will handle better than that slammed and stances garbage, especially just for every day driving.

In closing, take the money you saved from not doing some of those things and perform basic maintenance. Replace what needs replacing. Rebuild your shifter. Change all your fluids, including coolant. Get a good alignment. If you use your head, theres a lot of things you can do with that money that will make a better improvement to your car than stance.

My $0.02. Otherwise, carry on so I can just :fp: like I know I'm going to later on.

·
Registered
202 Posts

Skip the stance garbage.

Do the roll bar. For sure, there's nothing wrong with safety. Go for the resonated test pipe, but don't jump to the cat back just yet. Coil overs? You just want to lay frame because you think it's cool. It's not. Go for a spring/strut combo like a tokico setup, and see how that works. In fact, do just that since your stock suspension is likely spent anyhow. Then drive it like that and see how it feels. Get wheels that FIT. Properly. 195s on a 9" wide wheel? Unless you're tracking it, I wouldn't go wider than 7, and stretched tires looks like garbage. And maybe an intake, and fab yourself a heat shield for it.

Your car will handle better than that slammed and stances garbage, especially just for every day driving.

In closing, take the money you saved from not doing some of those things and perform basic maintenance. Replace what needs replacing. Rebuild your shifter. Change all your fluids, including coolant. Get a good alignment. If you use your head, theres a lot of things you can do with that money that will make a better improvement to your car than stance.

My $0.02. Otherwise, carry on so I can just :fp: like I know I'm going to later on.
You good sir are my hero! thats the way its done and thats the way all the cool guy´s do it. :phillyb:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Buy nothing. Drive the car for a month and then start modding it.
Good Idea. I was planning on waiting to see if anything crucial needs replacement first like pads, spark plugs, belts, fluids, bushings, etc before I started on the aftermarket items.

Skip the stance garbage.

Thanks for the input I did ask for opinions and all are welcome. It will be my DD and I wont be tracking any time soon due to being a full time college student. I don't want to be pebble scraping but want a good amount of drop and rigidity in my suspension without investing in front and rear sway bars and frame braces yet. The roll bar is a no brainer and most important IMO. Regular maintenance will come first with a shifter rebuild.

I am going to go for a stanced look. I already drive dumped daily in my truck and love it. And I want to try the stretched and tucked tire look since I never have before. Some hate it some love it. To each their own.

·
Big Pimpin'
11,480 Posts
Tires, plastic window for the soft top (since have removed the top) and changed all the fluids.

First big purchase was my black hardtop that I kept for a while, then traded it for a white one. Nothing major since then.

·
Registered
542 Posts
First things I bought: Synthetic oil/filter, Redline trans fluid and diff fluid, Hawk HPS pads, ATE Super Blue fluid, Stainless steel lines, Kirkey seat (won't go in until I get a roll bar). On the list for spring: roll bar, suspension (revalved MSM Bilsteins, ISC hats, GC coils...), front splitter.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.