ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
This is what I'd like to see.

Excuse the crap picture, I cannot find the higher res one I had. It appears to be a blending of the Trap m1002 style surround and the RS retro console. This is the perfect setup if going for that retro look. The current trap console doesnt allow for a console to be used. It just looks so right together.

·
Registered
11,684 Posts
A few things that would probably be of interest

- Piano hinged padded arm rest
- 12V cig lighter style power port, USB port, and aux port inside the center console. To keep costs down, you could just have the outline for each grooved into the plastic on the backside so people would have the option of cutting any/all out or leaving them untouched and the inside of the console wouldn't show the grooves.

These would interest me. As would a round opening for the shifter. I think a round opening suits the interior much better than the OEM square one.

I think the console SHOULD have provision for power windows. But I also think it should have a really sweet vintage-looking ash tray that can go in that slot instead of the power window switch. Shouldn't be hard, since the shape and size are just about right for an ashtray.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Something cost effective. I like the simple design of the zoom console but not the $500 price tag.
I dont mind the zoom, prefer the rs console, but I will second this.

It needs to be affordable, no way around this.

Look at everyones suggestions, they are basically asking for the rs console. Everyone loves that console, no body loves the $700 price tag.

Know your market, 60% can't afford the $700 console, 39% can but think its a god awful waste of cash, the rest already have what they wanted in the first place.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
I think thats a bit too cheap man. Not saying I wouldn't love it being that cheap, but lets be realistic. This is a groud up new entire console. Be very hard to produce it that cheap without it being a fiberglass plank.

I think a nice retro style console could still sell well into the mid-high 300s, any higher and you start to be in direct competition with the zoom and RS console.

I mean whenever one says make it like the zoom and rs console, they are basically saying "give me that for cheaper".

·
Registered
237 Posts
I am from St. Louis, and we are a bunch of cheap bastards. You won't see any quality cars come out of here(mine included). I could swing maybe 350 tops for a design I like. Something retroish. No cup holders, no switches, just something simple.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Yeah man, something like the rs but toggle switches and neat gadgets and stuff, and a compass or something. And the top should be black with chrome pieces, and the sides black leather with a colored stich :phillyb:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks for all the suggestions.

We are looking into cost/feasibility right now.

Here are some of the plans. I know I can't please everybody so I figure I'll work on the features I'm most interested in. This is not a spartan roadster console. There are plenty of those out there already. I want a stylish retro-themed console with modern conveniences.

The tombstone and console will be two separate pieces but sold as a set. They will have a more integrated look like the early 70's 350SL Mercedes. Looking to do the raised sides and swoop as seen in the picture below but the tombstone will come up to the top of the dash because it has too. Not going to reinvent a dashboard too!

We will retain the round A/C vents to match the rest of the dash.

Other ideas we are considering. Relocating the hazard/pop-up switch to where Mercedes located their hazard button below the shifter and placing (optional) individual window switches on either side. Maybe a place for an analog clock where the original hazard/pop-up switch was?

If there is room we may try to add optional cutouts for a couple of OEM switches. (Good idea Modernbeat!) Maybe below the DIN opening.

We will retain the stock HVAC controls but may make it a fully square opening so people can retrofit a NB HVAC panel.

As mentioned a double DIN opening below the HVAC.

Now the center console. The shifter and e-brake will have boots and possible a polished or brushed round ring around the shifter. We are looking into two cup holders in the same location as the NB console but have a flat rearward sliding cover to hide them when not in use. Not as convenient of a location but hiding the cup holders is worth the inconvenience to me. The cup holder may be a removable insert so you can just have more storage if you prefer.

Behind that will be a piano hinged leather covered lid with retro style stitching to have some storage and access to the trunk/fuel release levers. In this area we may also locate a 12V outlet, USB and Aux port

The e-brake will be integrated and behind that a small map pocket like the IL Motorsport console has.

What will not likely see production. :smile1:

Leather wrapped console and or tombstone. This will price the console even higher and likely out of the budget of most.

Driver oriented dash. No way. Not retro, not right for the NA Miata, to difficult and umm.. just not gonna happen. :rice:

Cost is going to be the big issue for most. I am in the poor, jealous group. $750 for a console? No :smile11: way!

Keep in mind though, this will be a retro-themed integrated console and tombstone with lots of modern convenience features. I know of nothing on the market like it. We don't want to copy any existing product or offer a knock-off of a rare expensive console.

Please realize, this is just a feasibility study right now. If tooling turns out to be too expensive, the project will likely not see the light of day. :suicide:

One more thing, This is not a Track Dog Racing product. It is a personal project. Please don't call TDR asking when it will be available. Youse gots questions. PM me or ask in this thread.

·
Registered
93 Posts
When I posted the Supra dash pic, I was not intending to tell you to redesign the full dashboard, it was just an example to show how angled the console could be. I was seeing something like the Zoom one but with a bit of angle. Was just an idea though. I still like where this is going.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Make it out of carbon fiber. USB and aux ports would be sweet as well as a round shift trim ring.

Also maybe move the location of the window motors so they can be accessed easier when sitting in a bucket seat.

No cupholders!

·
Banned
478 Posts
no cup holders & no map pocket.
PS: I hate cup holders.
No cup holders, just something simple.
No cupholders!
umm, yeah . . . I know stoly likes the idea, but no cupholders please.

love: retaining round a/c vents & shifter opening, shift boot options

dislike: relocating hazard/ pop-up switches; just not necessary. that's a very standard location found in German cars that shouldn't be reflected here.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Is it possible to have cup holders that slide out from the side of the center console? Or perhaps something like the UUC cup holder that's in a lot of E36 BMW's... Looks decent without a drink, perfect when you have one

I want one of these. Where can I steal one from?

·
//banned
9,131 Posts
would i be able to use my own tombstone? if not, then the concept better look great!
no cupholders!!!!!!
what about the armrest? padded leather?

i'm also with fabel, no need to relocate the hazard switch. i have toggles for my hazards and flippy lights; i don't really want to put them next to my revlimiter toggle window switches.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I want one of these. Where can I steal one from?
I work in marine down here in New Zealand, those cupholders are pretty much a standard fare in a lot of boats. Drop along to your local boat sales or chandlery place and they'll probably have some.

·
Super Moderator
6,392 Posts
I'm also in the no cupholders boat and a padded armrest. A USB cutout in the tombstone area would be nice too, much easier to not dangle a cord from the rear of the cabin to a phone or GPS in the window.

·
Banned
478 Posts
i'm also with fabel, no need to relocate the hazard switch. i have toggles for my hazards and flippy lights; i don't really want to put them next to my revlimiter toggle window switches.
Keep in mind that my toggles are identical to stock. They fit anywhere the stock switches do.
totally agree again philly.

Rev, it's too much toggle in too little a space is what he means.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts