ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought about getting coilovers, but I'm just skeptical on how it will affect my 50 mile daily commute that I'll be driving in this car. Take into consideration I live in a place where potholes are abundant. On my previous 94 I had AGX's on stock springs but that was used as my budget Autox machine.

Anyways, I saw a deal on ebay for $585 shipped on Tokico Illumina shocks with tokico springs. I don't want the car super low as it will be a daily, but I want my miata to be aesthetic and still retain good handling characteristics. Just give me some opinions on a budget suspension, I'm looking to keep it under $700. Do you think Coilovers are suitable in my terrain? I tried searching for some ideas and coilovers seem quite dominant.

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
930 Posts
Ignore both of the previous posts. I have the EZ-streets and I HATE THEM. If they didn't come on the car I would not have them, now I am stuck with what I've got because the PO of my car cut the stock springs to get them out.

Not sure what the going rate is now, but my wife's NB has the the FM Tokico Illuminia FM spring setup. This setup for the NA is 729.00 plus shipping. Its a little beyond your budget, but I know from experience its a hell of a setup.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
Now, before suggesting Racelands or Megans with NO resaon as to why...

- Super low not needed
- Lots of potholes
- Long daily commute
- Balance between ride comfort and handling

Random thoughts: Illuminas have a lifetime warranty. They may also be more comfortable? Proven to perform as well. Adding NB tophats will give you .5" more of a drop. "Racelands are terrible as far as real suspension goes" is the general consensus. Jury's still out on the EZ-Streets; some like them, some don't. FM V-Maxx may interest you as well. Lots of people like them, myself included. They're not too stiff at all, and fit your budget quite nicely ($600). You also get a 2-year warranty and FM's wonderful product support.

·
Hakuna matata y'all
651 Posts
I think FM V-Maxx would be a good choice if you want coilovers, that being said I don't dislike my racelands but i'd imagine they would be worse if the car was slammed on the ground.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Koni yellows on ground controls will be your best bet, next would be the illuminas.

ALL of the Ksports, D2's, Megans etc. are going to be too stiff and aren't really that great for either track or DD. The only other exception perhaps are the Tein Basics, those are alright for the money.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Now, before suggesting Racelands or Megans with NO resaon as to why...

- Super low not needed
- Lots of potholes
- Long daily commute
- Balance between ride comfort and handling

Random thoughts: Illuminas have a lifetime warranty. They may also be more comfortable? Proven to perform as well. Adding NB tophats will give you .5" more of a drop. "Racelands are terrible as far as real suspension goes" is the general consensus. Jury's still out on the EZ-Streets; some like them, some don't. FM V-Maxx may interest you as well. Lots of people like them, myself included. They're not too stiff at all, and fit your budget quite nicely ($600). You also get a 2-year warranty and FM's wonderful product support.
v-maxx, raceland, same difference. I wouldn't pay $600 for vmaxx coils, especially if racelands can be had for $370. If you're going to spend $600, get basics. If you want cheap, get raceland. This is just my opinion, I wouldn't take it to the bank.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
CUT SPRINGS AND BLOWN SHOCKS...lmao!!!!!
You a funny guy but I already have blown shocks from the previous owner. I don't know what kind of suspension the previous owner put on, but it must be some cheap crap.
Rear:

Front:

I'm thinking of the V-maxx's now. But waiting for more opinions before I bite the bullet.

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
716 Posts
That's coilover sleeves on stock shocks. LOL Illuminas, possibly with FM springs, are what you want. Miata.net raves about the comfyness.

·
red?
1,239 Posts
v-maxx, raceland, same difference. I wouldn't pay $600 for vmaxx coils, especially if racelands can be had for $370. If you're going to spend $600, get basics. If you want cheap, get raceland. This is just my opinion, I wouldn't take it to the bank.
This has been discussed again and again. V-Maxx and Racelands may have the same color scheme, but they aren't the same thing. As far as I'm concerned, Flyin' Miata's R&D is good enough for me.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I have FM Vmaxx (as of today) and I love them. They arent all that stiff, but they are super friggen comfortable

·
Murse Magnet
7,819 Posts
Well my research indicated that for not a whole lot of money you can buy some koni yellows and use some stock springs. You can get some fat cat bumpstops. Stock springs are not that bad at all. If you want to go slightly lower or even lower than that the konis have an adjustable perch setting on them. Just select which one you want. They have an oem ish setting. Next step down is a more autocross oriented setting and then next step down is lower. They are also 5 way adjustable. They are suppose to be fantastic shocks and if memory serves they have a life time warranty.

on good win racing they are $130 a piece.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/20-1104.html

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
This has been discussed again and again. V-Maxx and Racelands may have the same color scheme, but they aren't the same thing. As far as I'm concerned, Flyin' Miata's R&D is good enough for me.
Color schemes are the only similarities? What about the design/appearance, it's identical lol, plus the spring rates appear to be softer on the vmaxx vs the racelands. Anyways, I have't seen any information proving one is better than the other. :hello kitty:

No reason to further the debate really. In conclusion, I simply said for $370 the racelands are cheap and wouldn't spend more for the vmaxx, $600 for vmaxx, better off getting basics. Carry on. Poopoo

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
Color schemes are the only similarities? What about the design/appearance, it's identical lol, plus the spring rates appear to be softer on the vmaxx vs the racelands. Anyways, I have't seen any information proving one is better than the other. :hello kitty:

No reason to further the debate really. In conclusion, I simply said for $370 the racelands are cheap and wouldn't spend more for the vmaxx, $600 for vmaxx, better off getting basics. Carry on. Poopoo
I saw that too, and it kinda steered me away from them. That's also assuming that Raceland is telling the truth about their spring rates. I recall someone saying it isn't always the spring rate though; the quality of the shock is just as important.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
I saw that too, and it kinda steered me away from them. That's also assuming that Raceland is telling the truth about their spring rates. I recall someone saying it isn't always the spring rate though; the quality of the shock is just as important.
Agreed, and who knows what shock is in the vmaxx. Could be decent, but more than likely it is closely related to what the racelands have for $250 more.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Actually if you look at specific parts, such as the lower mount where the coil over attaches to the lower control are, you would know they are not the same product. The Vmaxx rates are lower because it suits the damping profile of the shock better.

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Koni yellows on ground controls will be your best bet, next would be the illuminas.

ALL of the Ksports, D2's, Megans etc. are going to be too stiff and aren't really that great for either track or DD. The only other exception perhaps are the Tein Basics, those are alright for the money.
I'd recommend almost anything before Konis and GCs...especially when youre saying that something might be too stiff for a DD.

Konis are valved for stock springs...nothing more. They have incredible amount of rebound damping, becuase they were designed for autoxers back in 1990 trying to push the limits of the stock classing. When you turn the knob to make the stiffer, all you are doing is making the rebound from worse to woser. This results in jacking-down. This allows the autocrosser to stay riding on the bumpstops around a corner to have pretty much a solid suspenion around a corner.

Having lots of rebound is good when you add in stiff springs, to be able to control them (basically counteract the springs bounciness) but the non-digressive manner in which the damping curve is on the Konis just leaves little to be desired. Plus the compression damping is still very low and nothing to write home about.

So, Konis with GC are probably one of the worst combos you can recommend someone for a DD setup. They feel like crap, ride awful, grip poorly, and are expensive considering the alternatives.

The options such as Ksports, D2's, Megans that you dismiss are at least valved properly for the spring rates they come with, are mono-tube and have a digressive dampening curve that makes them superior in handling, ride quality, grip, cost, and adjustablity.

and FWIW Vmaxx > raceland. They may look the same, but they aren't; the vmaxx are superior in many ways.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts