ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, long story short, ever since I've owned this car, the driver's rear has always sat ridiculously high and the passenger has been jacked up to match it.
Recently I got Tein Flexes on my car, since my old setup was a bit too long had no travel.
Just for kicks, I shortened the shock body completely and dropped it down.
The passenger side was tucking tire, however, the driver's side was high enough to barely fit a finger in it, and to get it to be closer to the pass. side, I'd have to literally droop the springs and run no preload (I didn't keep it this way, because that'd be stupid). The car was lowered with the bolts NOT torqued by the way, so there was nothing bushing preload.

I tried combatting this thinking arms were bent, I replaced the upper control arms with SPL adjustable units (as that SAME side at my old really high height had limited camber adjustment, nothing less than -2, and also didn't want a lot of negative camber when I went lower). Dropped the car down, still high.

So I tried lower arm thinking it HAD to be bent, and the long bolt was ruined. Got a new bolt, and arm, dropped it down, STILL nothing. The old bolt was perfectly fine as well, came out with ZERO issues. And the arm compared to the replacement looked similar with nothing sticking out (replacement was a used arm, but what kind of luck would I have to get ANOTHER bent arm with zero changes in height?)

So, both arms changed, car still high. I can't imagine the subframe/knuckle being the culprits if both arms being swapped did NOTHING. I've also dropped it without the endlinks attached and the car was still high.

So, has anyone else run into mystery bent components? Some guy on miata.net told me a couple years ago that tired camber bolts on his car made his car sit high on one side, and replacements made it sit at a different height.

Misc. info, the car was apparently side swiped on the driver's side as well.

(short story long)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Sounds like the chassis itself may be bent/twisted. On level ground maybe measure to the pinch welds at 4 corners and see if the corresponding corner is high...?

The fact that the car has been hit on that side would further corroborate my theory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts