ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering about racing seats, i can get a set for about 150, but i was wondering if that would look too ricey or what,

i was also thinking if not getting the race seats, then later on getting the katskin covers or corebau classics they look more sophisticated which may be good so i dont look like boy racer,

·
Registered
101 Posts
^if you get a racing seat, get a good one, you will thank the money you spent if ever u are in an accident.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
A generic racing seat will break your spine in an accident, is that really worth saving $200?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the ones im looking at are cobras.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
^even if its FIA approved, seats from low end brand names are still not very safe because they are made of fiber glass and will still break ur back if you are in a serious accident... I know i am been really anal here about seats... but when it comes to safety... =)

Just my suggestion, I would save up and buy a carbon fiber seats... and yes.. i know it cost more thank 10 bills... and that's why I am still rocking on stock seats.. =)

but that's just me, you may have different perception.

Nick

·
Registered
197 Posts
One of the certifications you might want to look at is TUV certification. I forget what it stands for, but it's a crash rating.

Personally, I have Corbeau Clubmans, it's a tube frame and identical to the Cobra Clubmans but they're an inch wider in the waist area. Certainly a plus to people like myself (a bit larger than average) and it doesn't have the shoulder wings so it easily fits in the Miata. I got them with the rails for $552 shipped for two, the rails required a tad bit of modification to fit the seats in the car correctly.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
my biggest problem is finding seats that are light and has adjustable sliders. saftey can't be compromise. thats why i'm rocking the stock seats.

then there is issue whether to use oem seat belts or get harnesses

·
Registered
197 Posts
The Corbeau seat rails are sliders and even though they have provisions for four point harnesses you can still use the factory belt.

·
2,708 Posts
I said it before and I'll say it again, Cobra Imola are the best bang-for-buck seats on the market. You cannot get into an FIA-approved and Kevlar seat for less, AND they are comfortable as hell. They even come in a Wide for us fat-ass Amelicans. Sitting in a MOMO Start or Sparco Sprint after sitting on the Imola is like sitting on a park bench.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/seats/cobra/cobra-race

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
i would like to see how you guys fabbed up the brackets or sliders for your seats if i may

·
Registered
489 Posts
I run the Corbra Imola in my race car and I am very satisfied with the fit, quality, and durability. Great bang for the buck. Here are a few pics.

·
1,213 Posts
One of the certifications you might want to look at is TUV certification. I forget what it stands for, but it's a crash rating.

Personally, I have Corbeau Clubmans, it's a tube frame and identical to the Cobra Clubmans but they're an inch wider in the waist area. Certainly a plus to people like myself (a bit larger than average) and it doesn't have the shoulder wings so it easily fits in the Miata. I got them with the rails for $552 shipped for two, the rails required a tad bit of modification to fit the seats in the car correctly.
TUV ( stands for, roughly - technical inspections organisation ) is a german based company that approves the safety of various items including vehicles but is not as far as I am aware a "crash" tester ...

lots of items in Europe whether seats or belts or lighting etc it often "TUV" approved and is labelled as such

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Just my suggestion, I would save up and buy a carbon fiber seats... and yes.. i know it cost more thank 10 bills... and that's why I am still rocking on stock seats.. =)

Nick
Bad information here.

Plenty of fiberglass seats are super safe.

In fact, Fiberglass seats are much safer than most carbin fiber seats. When carbonfiber breaks, it gets razor sharp. if your racing seat were to break, you don't want it then cutting you up. Carbon Fiber seats are for ricers. You are probably thinking about Kevlar seats. Kevlar is light and rigid but doesn't have the same shattering properties of CF.

I really like the Racetech seat in my car.

M

·
0 Posts
When in doubt, WIKI!

"The TÜV (short for Technischer Überwachungsverein, Technical Monitoring Association in English) is a German organization that aims to protect humans and the environment against hazards coming from factories and mechanisms of all kinds."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Technischer_Überwachungsverein

M

·
0 Posts
I said it before and I'll say it again, Cobra Imola are the best bang-for-buck seats on the market. You cannot get into an FIA-approved and Kevlar seat for less, AND they are comfortable as hell. They even come in a Wide for us fat-ass Amelicans. Sitting in a MOMO Start or Sparco Sprint after sitting on the Imola is like sitting on a park bench.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/store/seats/cobra/cobra-race
Tam,

Are you making a disctinction between the Imola and Imola II?

The $569.95 price for the Imola II GT (wide) in blue is pretty damned appealing...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:43 pm]

Nick
Bad information here.

Plenty of fiberglass seats are super safe.

In fact, Fiberglass seats are much safer than most carbin fiber seats. When carbonfiber breaks, it gets razor sharp. if your racing seat were to break, you don't want it then cutting you up. Carbon Fiber seats are for ricers. You are probably thinking about Kevlar seats. Kevlar is light and rigid but doesn't have the same shattering properties of CF.

I really like the Racetech seat in my car.
I am talking about real carbon fiber seats, not the ones that are fiber glass wrap w/ carbon fiber look. for what i know, fiber glass seats are not as strong as real carbon fiber seats. I don't know anything about kavlar seats so i won't comment on those... but there must be a difference between a 300$ spaco sprint, and 3000 s light cf =/

but i am no expert, so you are probably right #-o

1 - 20 of 35 Posts