ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so if you guys get mad, ill understand .. well a little bit

But i have a 2005 MSM and want to change the stock 17" racing hart wheels to something smaller.

The car is Daily Driver

I want to get coilovers (not sure which ones are good)

I want to be lower and look awesome but at the same time dont want to compromise safety and driveability.

Would love to be able to take the car to the track on certain occasions.

Too much to ask? or is it possible!

Show me the light!

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
Join the mazdaspeed thread and you can get some ideas.

What are your spending limits for the coilovers and wheels? THere are plenty of options to choose from really

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
Umm, sounds like you want to be close to mod slammed and no lower since you want to keep driveability. At a thousand bucks you can afford a nice variety to choose from.
1) used Tein Flexes - take you low and have great handling
2) BC Racing Type BR (get low package) - take you really low and are great for a street/drift setup. Pretty good handling in the corners too when you wanna push it without sliding.
3) used Stance GR - also good for going low and drifting. Havn't had any experience in the corners with them yet.
4) Megan Racing - their $900 option. Not their cheapest one. Goes low and has a decent ride

I feel like their are a couple other new coilovers out there that I havn't felt in person yet, but I can't remember their name. As far as wheels, I won't even name any since that is all up to your style. Check the fitment thread for ideas of the setup that looks good to you

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
ok ill look now for the mazdaspeed thread. and wheels id like to spend 1g and coils 1g
I suggest you go with 15x9 6ULs with 225/45s. If you don't want to be like everyone else, go with a 15x8 of your choice, as you will have a difficult time finding a reasonably priced 15x9.

As for coilovers, you can do the easy way and just buy a set, or you can do like I did. I built a full track suspension for $720. with the swaybar, bushing set, and endlinks I paid just under $1300 total.

$400 for bilstein sports from TireRack
$272 for adjustable sleeve, perch, and the springs from summit racing.

Include in a RB front sway with the bracket and endlinks from 949racing and you have a VERY capable setup for the rack for just under $1000. Now onto the looks part, if you are looking to be slammed this probably won't work too well, but it will give you very aggressive drop over stock NBs (mine was 14.0" front and 14.5" rear) and it looks great. I think but I am running 4.5" front and 4.7" rear to the pinch welds, which is about ~12.2" front to fender and 12.5" rear to fender. (depends on which side of my car you measure at really)

I run 550/450, stock rear sway, RB front with the extra bracing and 949 endlinks, 15x8 6ULs with 205/50 Star specs. and the car is neutral to slightly understeery if you use the stiffest setting on the RBs. I am still doing adjustments here and there, so we will see.

I am slightly lower than whats in this picture:

With the coilovers, I can still drop another 1/2" in the front and depending on how you install the sleeves, you might be able to get them lower than that, but thats up to you.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Tein Flex or a Bilstein home brew setup like Redemphex mentioned + RB tubular sway.
15x8's of some sort. Preferably under 13 ish lbs.
205 re11 or z1 star spec.
Should transform the car immensely and look tasteful to boot.

Gets my vote.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
I suggest you go with 15x9 6ULs with 225/45s. If you don't want to be like everyone else, go with a 15x8 of your choice, as you will have a difficult time finding a reasonably priced 15x9.
This is kinda ironic, because if he went 949racing 6ULs then he would just look like everybody else on mt.net. lol

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
This is kinda ironic, because if he went 949racing 6ULs then he would just look like everybody else on mt.net. lol
how is this ironic? I think you miss read my comment. I told him if he DOESN'T want to look like everyone else, to find a 15x8 of his choice and go with that...

Anyways, doesn't matter. he didn't state he wants to look unique. He wants a better looking car, with a drop, decent wheels, and the opportunity to go track it if possible.

·
Rehabilitation Officer
8,110 Posts
Thats why I didn't even say any types of wheels. Just so many to choose from, and it all comes down to what he wants from it and his style. I can see this thread becoming a JDM sick wheels yo vs lightweight functional thread. :-/

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
FM V-Maxx Stage 2 suspension kit
I'm still convinced the FM V-maxx is highway robbery. Rokkor + bumpstops + alternate springs + fat markup. But hey, if you have a crowd of m.netters praising your every move and waiving cash at your face I would sell them as well.

·
Got Wheel Gap?
1,617 Posts
I'm still convinced the FM V-maxx is highway robbery. Rokkor + bumpstops + alternate springs + fat markup. But hey, if you have a crowd of m.netters praising your every move and waiving cash at your face I would sell them as well.
All I know is I have been happy with mine. Though I have not tried anything else to compair them with.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
All I know is I have been happy with mine. Though I have not tried anything else to compair them with.

For sure. FM does stand behind their products 100% and provide great customer service. I just think the Vmaxx has merely received a fancy name (FM stamp of approval) along with some easy to conduct changes and product adjustments at an inflated price. That's all. Doesn't mean it won't work for those who purchase it.

·
Got Wheel Gap?
1,617 Posts
For sure. FM does stand behind their products 100% and provide great customer service. I just think the Vmaxx has merely received a fancy name (FM stamp of approval) along with some easy to conduct changes and product adjustments at an inflated price. That's all. Doesn't mean it won't work for those who purchase it.
Well, for a set of Coil-overs at $600, the price was really good I thought.

Time will tell. Just about to hit my first Chicago Winter with my V-Maxx's. Hopefully they will be up for it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts