ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im gonna make some wheel spacers on a water jet. My question is how thick do you think i can go while still keeping the stock length studs? Obviously this depends on how thick the wheels lug mounting surface to back is, but i was curious to see how thick others have ran. I would like to make them out of 3/8" stainless, but im worried im gonna have to swap the wheel studs for longer ones......which might be a pain in the ass? Anyone have experience doing this on a NA, front and rear?

·
Supporting Member
12,271 Posts
I think it really depends on how thick the wheel is. Whatever it ends up being for your application you will want full thread engagement on the lugs plus a few more threads beyond just to be safe. Depending on the thickness of your wheel spacer stainless might be overkill since the spacer doesn't need to be that strong. Aluminum would probably do the trick. For anything over .125" I would recommend aluminum. Less than that it probably doesn't matter and might even be easier to make out of stainless depending on what kind of stock you use. A water jet is great because it can easily cut aluminum, something my laser cannot do :(

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have read horror stories of aluminium cracking under hear and pressure on the wheel spacers that use your studs to mount and have extra studs sticking out of them (usually 1"-2" spacers). I like the stainless because of its resistance to heat and corrosion, not to mention its strength compared to al., but then agian its alot heavier.
On another note....6 or 7 turns of the stock lugs = full thread engagement/lug nut all the way on?
Also does anyone have an actual stud to measure the diameter of.....its supposed to be 12mm but i doubt its right at 12mm.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have read horror stories of aluminium cracking under hear and pressure on the wheel spacers that use your studs to mount and have extra studs sticking out of them (usually 1"-2" spacers). I like the stainless because of its resistance to heat and corrosion, not to mention its strength compared to al., but then agian its alot heavier.
On another note....6 or 7 turns of the stock lugs = full thread engagement/lug nut all the way on?
Also does anyone have an actual stud to measure the diameter of.....its supposed to be 12mm but i doubt its right at 12mm.
your wheels are aluminum... dont see why it'd be much different.

·
Registered
439 Posts

·
Speed Tribe OG Member
4,628 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
so i wimped out and just bought some......15mm for the front, 25mm for the back.
Tell me what you think about these(link)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250040158057
hopefully they got their specs right on the stud length so i dont have to find some open ended tunner lug nuts.
how did these work out for you?
+1
I used to have those, they work fine. Threads are same a stock studs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.