ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, so i have my old set of 17x7" +42 Enkei wheels im finally going to sell. To me, they just look to narrow, so im going wider...with 17's.

I have been looking at 17x7.5 and 17x8.5, but im wondering offset.

How many mm in 1/2" ?? I'm wondering if something like 17x7.5 +35 would be alright. To me, going + .5" and down 10mm would be like adding 1/2" lip to what i already have, yes?

Then i was also looking at 17x8.5 +40. How much difference would that be (in lip) from my current wheels?

Or would a 17x7.5 +40 be better.

Im not trying to look like the 15x8 +0 offset, but something with a deeper lip then what i have...and to have a "meat-er" look from behind.

·
Supporting Member
612 Posts
Depends on many different things to answer your question(s). Most 1pc wheels like the enkei's you had have a set face (spokes) and lip and for a lower or higher offset the pad is made longer or shorter to acheive the planned offset. Some 1pc wheels will have a different bigger lip wheel if they offer 10+ widths usally with a larger lip.

For the most lip with the most offset options etc you would want a 2 or 3pc wheel where the outter and inner shells will have to be changed for differant offsets (to a certain degree the pad on the center can still be machined smaller for lower offset).

I would suggest a 8-8.5 wide wheel and if you wanted lip you could even go 9in on the rear (most likely have to roll the rear fender). Best option for most tire and wheel are the 8-8.5 width you could run 245 all the way around with say 40-30mm offset. I have Kosei K1 Race wheels 15x8 +32 offset with 225's and am really happy with the look. Sits pretty close to the fender (would sit perfect if they weren't already rolled) and from the rear looks perfectly poportional to the car and sits right.

If you want the lip! Sportmax makes a few differant staggered setups in 17" with multi drilled 4x100; 114 bolt patterns. You could run 17x8 in the front +35 offset obo and 17x9 in the rear +35 offset obo. www.sportmaxwheel.com

Ran the same setup in the 006 wheels on my na. Sold them for 15's cause I didn't like the look of the 17's on the na but had the 9's in rear with a 2.5in stainless lip.

PS: tires size i was running was way too talk. worked but was almost 1.75in larger than stock.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
25.4mm = 1 inch, so 12.7mm = 1/2 inch

I figure 17x7.5 (+30) or 8.5 (+10) or so up front, or less (+10 to 0 for the 7.5") would sit nicely with a slightly stretched tire. For the rear if you're looking for a 9.5, +20 should work well.

As far as lip sizing goes, I'm a bit brain fried from class to do the math...lol Sorry dude.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
XCLR8TN, there are multiple 17" tire sizes that will keep the speedo stock or as close to stock as you can get.

Try fiddling around with Miata.net's tire size calculator, as I've found a bunch of different sizes in 17" from skinny to wide tires that will work.

Here's a link: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
XCLR8TN, there are multiple 17" tire sizes that will keep the speedo stock or as close to stock as you can get.

Try fiddling around with Miata.net's tire size calculator, as I've found a bunch of different sizes in 17" from skinny to wide tires that will work.

Here's a link: http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
Doh. I've used that for YEARS. I forgot it existed for a couple seconds. :lol: :lol:

·
Supporting Member
612 Posts
danscreation: ^^what tire size WERE you running, and what would be the correct size to keep the speedo accurate? thx
The calculator on miata.net will work as the best guide. I forgot the exact size tire I used belive it was 225/45/17 which was streched some on the rim. If someone actually made a 245/30/17 or even 245/35/17 would work as well. With something so wide with a small over height its really hard to be picky. Not a whole lot out there so if you have to go slightly larger then....you know. Would still give you that slight stretch to clear the fenders if using an agressive offset (on a 9in rim that is).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts