ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay. I'm thinking of getting a set of fender flares for my 92..

My question is, what kind of wheels would I need to run to fill this gap? I've never concerned myself with wheels more than just looks and weight, but here I've got to worry about offset too. Are these wheels usually way heavier than stock? Any ideas? I'm a total n00b when it comes to wheels, sizes, and offset. Thanks for any help!

-Joel

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
My question is, what kind of wheels would I need to run to fill this gap?
Generally it's done the other way around. You buy the wheels you want and then figure out a way to cover them if they don't fit within the stock fenders. There are many different brands/shapes/sizes of fender flares but virtually all are going to require some trimming of the metal fenders and custom fitting of the fiberglass flares.

Are these wheels usually way heavier than stock?l
Most aftermarket wheels are going to be larger than stock Miata wheels and therefore heavier. Some will be significantly heavier. The additional width, weight, diameter, offset, and backspacing may have a dramatic effect on how the car performs and how it feels to drive. Some people are more sensitive to this than others. First ask yourself what your ultimate goals are with your car. What are you trying to achieve?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are you trying to achieve?
Looks first, with performance running a close second. I used to have a set of 14" OEM BBS wheels and I loved the feel of them. I switched to a set of heavier Enkei 16's and I could tell a HUGE difference in them. I'm actually thinking about going back to the BBS wheels now.

I want to keep the handling relatively good, nothing amazing but close to stock because the car feels wonderful the way it is. Would a set of wheels this size tend to ruin it for me?

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
well the best way to find out what wheel the flare was designed for is to ask them person who made it... I asked about these flares, they were designed for 15x8+0 wheels, so that means the should work on any 8" wide 0 offset wheel, it also should work on wheels that are analogous in terms of the distance from the outer lip of the rim/tire to the hub.

·
Registered
534 Posts
If you're going for looks then you can fit some 15x10 ~0et in the back and 15x8-8.5 0et in the front. You can go lower et in the front to make them flush but you'll rub at full lock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts