ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if rlips were always available from mazda from the beginning of when they started making miatas? 1989/1990

or were they only available to buy after the 93le came out?

thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that's interesting. i've never heard/seen pix of those before. thanks jesse

does anyone have the answer to the ques though-

were rlips always available from mazda from the beginning of when they started making miatas?

·
Registered
718 Posts
someone please correct me if I'm wrong but they came about when the R package came out (hence the name). again, correct me if I'm wrong but I think that was in 94

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
OK let's do this: This is a picture I've saved of a 89 'Shop option catalog'. On the top left is a A lip. I can't make out what is on the top right. It might be the B lip. If anyone here is some kind of photo detective whiz you may be able to blow it up and magnify and threshold and whatever to see if this is a B lip or not.

According to Miata lore, the original Miata was designed with the lip spoilers on the body. However, the lip spoilers would not clear the roll-on/roll-off transport ships, and were left out at the last minute. This story has been spred through M.net for years. HOWEVER I strongly question its veracity. If clearance on the boat is keeping it off the car, then how come the JDM Roadsters also do not have them? Also- these are very simple bolt-on affairs. They could easily have been bolted on at the dock or at the dealership here in the US. I know the spoilers on my Scion xB were bolted on at the dock.

Well so there you have it. I haven't answered your question, but I just gave you more ways of asking the same question :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
how do you know it is an a lip on the top left? on the red miata?

the top right looks to be an b lip on the white miata. it does not have big enough ducts to be an a lip, i think.

i'm going to accept they have been in production since early years, and were bolted on at the dock.

i was only asking this for a friend...

otoh now that i know of a+c lips..
has anyone been able to get ahold of either one in the us?

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
how do you know it is an a lip on the top left? on the red miata?

the top right looks to be an b lip on the white miata. it does not have big enough ducts to be an a lip, i think.

i'm going to accept they have been in production since early years, and were bolted on at the dock.

i was only asking this for a friend...

otoh now that i know of a+c lips..
has anyone been able to get ahold of either one in the us?
Because of the bigger picture he posted of it ealier in the thread :p

The second one looks like a B lip to me also

It would be nice if someone could get a hold of a C lip, then they could start being reproduced/copied, however if it's a mass production thing they would lose some of the the rarity factor, perhaps a limited production run anyone? Bill? :lol:

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts
I have a '91 showroom brochure (printed 7/90) that lists "front air dam, rear spoiler and skirt" as dealer installed accessories. No picture in this brochure.

I'm sure I have an accessory brochure from around that same time around here somewhere. It has a picture of the front air dam.

I'll find it and scan it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
the C lip looks exactly like the R lip for 93-95 FDs.. i don't think it flows well with NA

garage vary lip being very similar to the 99+ FD lips, looks much better, slammed NA required :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts