ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive decided i want a wing for my car. I want the top to be carbon fibre, and i want the "legs" (where it attaches to the trunk) to be spread wide. I am going to be doing track days and it will help me out at high speeds plus, I think my car has the look and can pull it off :mrgreen: . Ive attached a picture of the ideal wing im looking for, if anyone can lead me in the right direction ide appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
464 Posts
That S2000 looks like it has an APR GTC-300 on it. It's kind of stuck between rice (lots of F&F cars used them) and functional from what I've read, but they are reported to work not that much worse than a true, tested wing.

There's quite a bit of science in building a functional wing, I dropped out of aeronautical engineering after 2 quarters :lol:

·
Mufasa in Training
31,125 Posts
If you're willing to shell out the cash, Axis Power Racing could sell you one along with a trunklid that weighs (for both together) 9 lbs :shock:

Matt's old car (the first SCC Project Miata) used to have one.

·
Registered
239 Posts
please note that 3uno5 has the "drag" style stands, which is why its so low. apr offers the same wing airfoil itself with different stands, up to 10" high.

here is apr's wing selection.

and referring to the axis trunk lid/wing combo, looking back at the scc article, it was just an axis power racing trunk lid, weighing 4lbs, and the apr gtc-200 wing which weighs 8.5 lbs (the wing itself is 4lbs, and the stands are 4.5lbs), compared to a stock, spoiler-less, trunk lid @ 14lbs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just something to note, the further back the wing sits the greater downforce it can put on the rear wheels. Wings that sit directly over the trunk are not as efficient a design as the same wing mounted further back.

·
Mufasa in Training
31,125 Posts
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:29 am]2 different APR companies.

Axis Power Racing made the lid.

APR performance makes the GTC-200. I will be running one of these on the new car.
Thank you for clearing that up, Matt. I was getting a little confused myself.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Just something to note, the further back the wing sits the greater downforce it can put on the rear wheels. Wings that sit directly over the trunk are not as efficient a design as the same wing mounted further back.
its a trade off. because if you put the wing behind the rear wheels, it begins to actually lift the front wheels off the ground.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Matt [exz3owner said:
@ Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:36 pm]
its a trade off. because if you put the wing behind the rear wheels, it begins to actually lift the front wheels off the ground.
..if it has enough force, that is.

You can use a smaller aerofoil or less AOT, and get less drag and the same downforce.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
1 - 20 of 22 Posts