ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want nice wheels (enkei rpf-1) but they dont have gold in 15x7. only silver. their gold rpf-1's are all too big.

so, since i'll be spending something like $800 on the wheels, i dont think i want to ghetto spray them gold, but want some quality paint. so, how does one go about doing this? i figure more than a few of you guys have probably done this!

help a brotha out.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
If you don't want to cheep-o spray paint them, you'll need to find a local powdercoater. Prices could range from... 60-100 dollars per wheel. Maybe cheaper if you've got some hook ups. That's why alot of people just spray paint theirs.
-Ryan

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I know a lot of people powdercoat wheels but keep in mind that quality wheels tend to have highly specialized heat treatments on them that could be destroyed by the 400°F+ temperatures needed to cure the powdercoat. I suggest contacting a local wheel shop that specializes in straightening and refinishing bent/damaged wheels. They will properly prep the wheels and coat them with automotive quality paint that will last.

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
^
Plus 1. I've heard/read of a couple bad stories about powdercoated rims breaking/cracking under track use.

·
Registered
465 Posts
might want to contact them directly and see if they do custom work. getting rota pdc's in custom gunmetal with polished lip through jimmy at fujiracing. he called them up and rota i guess will make anything custom. might wanna try that first.

·
CR.net Supporter
3,190 Posts
krylon with a blowtorch instant powder coating, just make sure you don't leave the fire on too long lol

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hm.. good call on calling them directly. i didnt even think of that.

3uno5 - do you mind me asking how much of a premium did they charge you for those custom wheels?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I use a shop in North Long beach if that isn't to far for you. Automotive powdercoating by Worco. Ask for Tony.

·
3,857 Posts
might want to contact them directly and see if they do custom work. getting rota pdc's in custom gunmetal with polished lip through jimmy at fujiracing. he called them up and rota i guess will make anything custom. might wanna try that first.
I love my PDCs (I was the first miata in the states with PDC on :mrgreen: ), I just want to mention that in the past when I called ROTA they didn't offer any custom option, so I 'll double check that it's not aftermarket paintjob...

·
Registered
465 Posts
dont think they charged anything extra to make them custom color scheme. i paid like 595 with shipping included. just contact jimmy (4 throttle tuning) here on the forum and ask him if you want rota stuff, his site fujiracing deals with them directly now so can prob get them anyway you want them.

·
3,857 Posts
dont think they charged anything extra to make them custom color scheme. i paid like 595 with shipping included. just contact jimmy (4 throttle tuning) here on the forum and ask him if you want rota stuff, his site fujiracing deals with them directly now so can prob get them anyway you want them.
F.Y.I. The PDC are fully polished, meaning that the center piece is not just silver painted... I bet they would look rad in gold, let us know when you get them!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts