ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a 99 Miata and was told it needed the timing belt installed and that it overheated so the head was shaved. After installing the timing belt and starting the car the radiator had a leak. JB welded the crack for now. After starting the car and letting it run it suddenly dies out. After cranking and no start I decide to check the timing marks, one cam doesnt line up so I set again and it runs. Looking in the oil filler cap I dont see any oil splashing on the cams so I remove the valve cover and found 2 of the cam journals on the exh. side pretty bad but the intake side is ok. Where can I buy a head?? I found a new one at NOPI, has anyone bought from them before? Also planning on pulling the motor to check end play on crank after finding some info on thrust bearing problems on the 99-00 models. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks Rob

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
i dont think you can find them new... and if you did, id be willing to bet it would be $$$$$$$$. a reman'd one would be just as good.

i know ebay has a few head remanufactures on their site. i just saw an nb1 head or two a few days ago. on ebay search "99 miata head" and they should pop up

... and the links philly provided are also great starts!

edit: i just saw your ex cam went bad. thats a bummer. those are the hardest to find since everyone wants just the exhaust side for the ex-intake mod.. if you need a set of cams PM me, i got a set f/s

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
eBay rebuilder offers core exchange for a rebuilt head, 350-400 for a remanufactured head as long as you ship them back your old one.

Damn good deal if you ask me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys. Blindboxx2334 if I buy a head less cam I'll definately hit you up on the cams. PM me a price please. Thanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts