ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to enquire some cheap, used JBL 6"X9" speakers...but Im not sure where to put them. I saw some speakers today on a Miata (cheers Jim :mrgreen: ) that were mounted behind the seats, just drilled in. Has anyone else done this? Does it sound good?

·
Registered
466 Posts
No.
Dont do it

Put the 6x9 in your grandmothers, buick, and get the right sized speaker....

Of course, this is just my humble opinion...

·
Registered
50 Posts
the amount of effort you'll put in to get those speakers in won't be worth it. you'll be pissed at the end when you realize you can't go back. don't sacrifice your car to put in some cheap-used speakers. an amp with good door speakers/headrests should be enough.

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
I wouldnt put them in, if anything Id remove your factory ones, there really heavy, I mean serveral ounces at least

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I work in an audio store during the day. The JBL speakers Im buying are off a colleague, and theyre actually really good. I want bass, but I dont want a sub. I had JVC Monster 6X9s in my SX and they were perfect. I like my music, but Im not the sort of person that likes to annoy everyone else with it when Im driving about.

I was really just after knowing how much spare room there is in that area, as Id want to drill into it to mount the speakers.

·
Registered
169 Posts
i though about doing this. but id like to make it look oem and im not to sure about how much room we have between the gas tank and the deck lid.

I removed some of the foam to see if i could an infinty 6412cfp

but i would have to cut about .50" off the seat brace. This is possable to do this but i don't comprmize my one of seats.

so unless i can find in a oem seat for cheap donated for this cause :wink: im going to use a 3" tweeter
if your some what and have a oem seat hit me up im just out ventura :lol:

·
Registered
185 Posts
bump, I am going to be doing this same thing. I am getting some really nice speakers that would sound good if I could mount them
I am thinking of the area right above the center console probably angled towards eachother at the top. Run an amp for all four speakers, just wayy too quiet at highway speed. Already got a pioneer headunit and sony 3way speakers
Andrew

·
Registered
185 Posts
lol
What woudl you think 6x9s would do if they were on the forward facing side of the rear bulkhead?
mainly thinking of sound quality, I figure it will point the internal tweeters somewhat at ear level. I also run a screen windblocker.
Andrew

·
Registered
344 Posts
I had 6x9's installed like Miatadam's photo, replaced them with 8" 3 ways for a huge improvement.

·
Registered
466 Posts
There is pleanty of space on the rear deck. Pull the carpet up, and you can see how much space you have. There is a removeable panel covering the fuel tank.

You just have to know what you want...
If you work at a stereo shop, then you should know that 6-behinds in a Miata night not be your best choice. You might have learned that an amplifier on you upgraded door speakers (possibly even components) would server you a LOT better than some 6-behinds...

Again, just my opinion.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Aight, sadly my car is 3 hours away until spring break, so I will look into where I can put them so that they aim somewhat at the passengers. I am thinking that the tweeters in the 6x9's would not be very useful going straight up and through a glass window.
Andrew

·
Registered
466 Posts
You can get some 6x9 boxes for like $15-20 bucks. Buy a pair, and play with location. See what you like best, then mount away.

The beauty of the 6x9s is more the "bass" versus the "highs". Let your FRONT speakers do most of the work. They are in a better location for a reason...they sound better in front of you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts