ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am new here. I've read and read and read forums on here about which coilovers to do, so my question is: Im stuck bewtween three choices. the Raceland primo's with full adjustablity, the tein street advanced fully adjustable and the yokana coilovers. all three fully adjust, the race lands have a lifetime warranty though.... the yokana one year and I'm not sure about the teins, the teins also don't come with the top hats. so opinions on these? who is running what and do you like it? I daily drive the car but I like to drift around sometimes. I want to go low but doesn't have to be horribly low. a 1in gap mab? looking forward to hearing from you guys.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Tein

They've been around for over 10 years and a lot of people have been pleased with them. They've gone through billions of different models and have had time to grow and know their ****. They're not some GOTTA BE #1/ALPHABRO XIDAs, but normal people will be happy.

Racelands have had some quality issues, they're kinda well known to be kinda 'eh, i just wanna be low and not care about anything else' type of suspension.
I don't know anything about 'Yonaka' other than the fact that it's some company I've seen on eBay.

With the Street Advance you'll be happy, and if the Top hat thing bothers you, you can always slap on NB top hats, or ISC extended hats and have a pretty cool setup that you'll be more than happy with.

Another option you could explore, would be the Budget Bilstein Coilover, the downside is that the shocks are 10ft tall and you run out of travel pretty fast.

My car's pretty high in the air, and the fronts don't really have much suspension travel, it's practically sitting on the stops and the rears have extended hats. So top hats for these would be a must at least in the rear.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
if you've read and read and done all of this research then how the hell did you come up with those 3 garbage choices? If it must be one of those then the Teins. Otherwise keep researching/saving

·
100% Jakedashian
6,822 Posts
599 for racelands?...eeesssshh they were better when they were 150.
They used to be 150? Holy crap.

OP, if you really wanna JDM Driftlyfe you gotta replace your shocks with iron girders. No suspension travel makes it easier to unload the rear and get hektik

trust me it works 5/7 times.

EDIT: If you're ballin' on a budget, weld your existing shocks so they don't move. If a welded diff helps you drift, welded shocks are even better.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so everyone thinks the teins? even though they can't be rebuilt? thats the sketchy part for me, as long as I get a few years (10k) miles out of them id be happy

·
R U ?
7,092 Posts
why would that be sketchy? It is never going to make sense to rebuild some street dampers. It's only really worth rebuilding dampers that are used for track. since replacements are 3k vs rebuilding at ~1k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok cool, does anyone have the yokana or the raceland's I am talking about? just curious!! i have good things about the teins and the yokana. plus for me is the yokana has the topmast, not that thats a big deal, and I know tein has been around a bit longer, they can't quite go as low though. say I wanted to take it to a car show sometime.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok, im 90% sure I'm going with the teins because I found some for a good price, I can get the street advanced z for 450 shipped or the basis z for 369 shipped! which should I go with?! both seem to good to be true because even on eBay the advanced z is 520

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just thought I chime in for some help.
First, you really got to state your budget and what you want.
There are loads of choices for coilovers, without knowing your budget it is hard to pin point.

Second, if you want to go low... pretty much look at dual perch coilovers with extended top hat.
The reason for that is because a single perch coilovers loses damper travel pretty quickly if you are going to go low.
A good dual perch design is going to allow you to keep most of those travel even at the lower setting, but a extended rear top mount is going to be a must if that suspension were to have any travel to begin with.

Basically, if you want to go low and don't care about ride quality, anything will do.
As pretty much you will end up on your bump stop anyways.

If you want to go low but retain good ride quality and performance, it is going to be about $1000 at least.
Because any suspension that have all the require parts probably won't be far off that figure, but you end up having a car that can go low, drive nice, and perform well.

That is my suggestion.

Jerrick

·
Registered
40 Posts
Out of those three choices I'd pick the Yonaka. However I suggest you wait a bit and up your budget to get something half decent for around 1k like the BC racing coilovers. At the bare minimum run Megans.

I went from FM vmaxx classic to Chikara CP1's and never looked back.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts