ClubRoadster.net banner

Which brand double hoop rollbar?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the style of the double hoop roll bars better than the single hoop style, and both Hard Dog and Boss Frog offer a double hoop design.

Boss Frog's is SCCA legal for sure, but Hard Dog doesn't say anything about theirs being SCCA compatible. I kind of like the style of the Hard Dog better but if it isn't race legal then I don't know if it's worth it over the Boss Frog.

If I went with Hard Dog I'd be getting the center braced design, and Boss Frog's only comes in a center brace.

Here are links to each of the manufacturer's double hoop roll bar designs:

Boss Frog: http://www.bossfrog.biz/m-double.htm
Hard Dog: http://www.bethania-garage.com/deuce.htm

What do you guys think?

·
CR.net Supporter
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Boss Frog looks considerably larger than the Hard Dog, am I seeing things or is that really how it is?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have my Boss Frog Double Hoop For Sale!

·
Registered
526 Posts
The boss frog is kinda ungainly looking, the HD looks really good, but the SCCA compliance thing is an issue.. I think if push came to shove I'd just get a single hoop.

·
Registered
19 Posts
How tall are you? The Hard Dog isn't as tall as the Boss Frog. I went with the Hard Dog Hard core, instead of the Deuce when I saw how low and far back the Deuce sits.

·
Registered
526 Posts
How tall are you? The Hard Dog isn't as tall as the Boss Frog..
Which is why it looks better. And really, when it comes down to it, you don't need a rollbar to be taller than the top of your head (or helmet) unless you're wearing a 4 or 5 point harness.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Or unless you manage to wind up upside-down, which is why you would want a rollbar in the first place... yes?
Clearly you don't understand the physics involved. If your car rolls over, you are NOT going to be seated upright in your seat, UNLESS you are wearing a 4 or 5 point harness. Physics dictate that you WILL be thrown off to one side, and even if you are not, the spine is flexible enough to allow you to be shoved to one side without major injury. If you are held upright by a racing harness, you will find out, unfortunately, that the human spine has little allowance for compression.

But the key to all of this is the method of retraint.

That said, with the boss frog mounted so far forward, there is a LEGITIMATE concern that, while being tossed around, as is INEVITABLE in most accidents, not limited to rollovers, your head can impact the bar with significant force. Just ass Boss Frog; they've recently released a variation on the Frog that sits lower and mounts further back.

But hey, you don't have to trust me, or even physics. Go with what "feels" safer.

·
Registered
526 Posts

Am I the only one who finds it strange to have a double-hoop bar in a car without a passenger seat?

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
I was thinking of running just one boss frog hoop, a la blue potato, and install the pass. side just for track days. any forseeable problems with this config?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Or unless you manage to wind up upside-down, which is why you would want a rollbar in the first place... yes?
Clearly you don't understand the physics involved. If your car rolls over, you are NOT going to be seated upright in your seat, UNLESS you are wearing a 4 or 5 point harness. Physics dictate that you WILL be thrown off to one side, and even if you are not, the spine is flexible enough to allow you to be shoved to one side without major injury. If you are held upright by a racing harness, you will find out, unfortunately, that the human spine has little allowance for compression.

But the key to all of this is the method of retraint.

That said, with the boss frog mounted so far forward, there is a LEGITIMATE concern that, while being tossed around, as is INEVITABLE in most accidents, not limited to rollovers, your head can impact the bar with significant force. Just ass Boss Frog; they've recently released a variation on the Frog that sits lower and mounts further back.

But hey, you don't have to trust me, or even physics. Go with what "feels" safer.
You made some excellent points, but do you really have to be so rude? I don't think you were being attacked or anything even close to that.

Forums are not face to face conversations but they should be approached with the same level of civility and politeness.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,421 Posts
but do you really have to be so rude?
Yes he does, Wowak is a self proclaimed bastard.

Even though BF has attempted to build a double hoop style roll bar system to the SCCA guidelines, I bet most SCCA events that would require a roll bar would not allow the BF Double Hoop. However, I bet the various track day clubs would be fine with it. If I had to choose between the two I would select the Boss Frog, I have seen a couple installed and they are well build and smartly installed.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I am going to go with the Boss Frog being that they took the time out to actually have their products stress tested and have numbers to prove it. Not to mention that i think the Boss frog bar looks far more substantial than the Hard Dog bar. Never mind the fact that your head may impact the bar if you do happen to roll. It is still much better than being crushed by the car, and even if you had the hard dog and rolled, your head may still hit the ground if using stock belts as they have very little vertical restraint.

·
Registered
526 Posts
You made some excellent points, but do you really have to be so rude? I don't think you were being attacked or anything even close to that.

Forums are not face to face conversations but they should be approached with the same level of civility and politeness.
That statement was essentially a direct attack on my intellect. I would have been MUCH ruder had it been face to face. For example, I probably would have started with "hey retard, get the car key out of your ear and pay attention."

But hey, like Kevin said (and he knows,) I'm a bastard and not ashamed of it.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I waited a long time for the double hoop bar.

I went with the Deuce and it is plenty substantial.

I'm 6'2" and hitting my head was an issue, which I had trouble with other bars.

No issues with the Deuce. I can see in my mirror, and can raise the top like normal.
I also have a Hardtop, but don't like the glass windows. So I don't know about them.

I just couldn't stomach the Frog, its ugly.

I didn't get a bar for rollover as much as side impact, just ask BlackRoadster.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That statement was essentially a direct attack on my intellect. I would have been MUCH ruder had it been face to face. For example, I probably would have started with "hey retard, get the car key out of your ear and pay attention."

But hey, like Kevin said (and he knows,) I'm a bastard and not ashamed of it.
Well then you took it the wrong damn way. Not my fault. :roll:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts