ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I come from an NC. I'm looking to build an NA soon. After looking at various built up NA's I've noticed how some aftermarket roll bars are awfully close to the driver's head. Not bad with a helmet on, no bueno for street driving.

Using a Miata NA with a factory hardtop and no soft top as a basis for comparison...

Which aftermarket roll bar puts the top tube the furthest away from the driver's head?

So far, from my research, it seems the Boss Frog double hoop is a good one. The top of it seems to be further back from the top of the headrests than some other bars I've looked at. But, which do you suggest?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm 5'10" short legs/long torso. So usually the stock seat is not all the way back. The factory hardtop is about 2-3 inches from my head. Should be able to squeeze a helmet under there.

I'll be using the stock seats for now. I'd like to change the seats eventually, but for now I want to make sure it works with the stock seats.

·
Supporting Member
1,529 Posts
you just 100% completely described body type and exact height. mine is usually all the way back while slightly reclined because my lower back hurts and this helps alleviate the pain by putting pressure on my upper back, of course the drawback is looking like a thug. anyway, as for height i dont know if it will be lower than your head with a helmet, but i can vouch for it being far enough back to keep your head from smashing into it

·
Registered
568 Posts
Boss frog maxx angled back and eill fit a hardtop

·
Registered
267 Posts
Here is BF maxx double on a NA. The standard version would be straight up instead of leaning back slightly. Height-wise both should be close but standard is probably a tad taller.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is BF maxx double on a NA. The standard version would be straight up instead of leaning back slightly. Height-wise both should be close but standard is probably a tad taller.
Thanks! That's exactly the kind of clearance from my head I'd like to have. Does this one fit under the factory hard top? Also, I supposed the single bar BF has roughly the same shape right? I sort of prefer the look of it over the double. Not by much,as both look great.

Love the Elise seats BTW!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Thanks and you're welcome. That car and the seats are long gone, but replacement one isn't too bad either :)
My guess is the single hoop height is very similar as well and technically they're not supposed to fit under a hardtop but there are threads if them fitting. I didn't have one so can't say anything.

·
Alexander Supertramp
4,670 Posts
Sorry I don't have a larger picture, but here's how angled the BF Clearview Maxx is with Corbeau Forzas. It also does fit under a hardtop even though it wasn't really designed to.

This also gives you an idea.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi, right now I'm leaning towards a Boss Frog Maxx. You guys say it fits under the hardtop and it seems to offer the best height (19") in combination with how far back it sits.

I spoke to the guys at Bethania Garage (Hard Dog) and they recommended the M1 Hard Core Hard Top. http://www.bethania-garage.com/hardcore_hardtop.htm However, while it has the same height as the Boss Frog Maxx (19") it sits 1.5" more forward (closer to your head). I really liked the Ace bar: http://www.bethania-garage.com/ace.htm But while it sits even further back, because of that, it's only 18" high. I would like to be able to pass a broomstick test.

So far, it seems the best compromise between height and head clearance is the Boss Frog Maxx.

·
┐('~`;)┌
6,401 Posts
Lower your seating position. There's modest variation among rollbar heights but for a street car they're ultimately limited by the soft or hard top. Since the bar can only go so high, your head has to go low.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
^^^ That's step two.

I figured, let me try and find a good balance between height and head clearance. Then if it's still a problem passing a broomstick test I'll consider lowering the sitting position. I do feel the stock seating position in Miatas to be too high.

Before I buy, I'll run a bunch of measurements. I'll likely know by then if the seating position will have to go down or not. Most likely, since I want head clearance.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
+2 for moti

If you are in socal there is no other logical choice.

If you make the trek he can even fit a bar to you.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts