ClubRoadster.net banner

Which Tires for Autocross and Daily Driving?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some good results from my Flatout or Wideopen poll. Now I wanna do a tire poll. And for those who wanna know they're gonna be a 205/50/15 going on the Konig Wideopens 15x8 +25. So tell me your tire opinions. Bridgestone RE-11, Kumho Ecsta XS, Dunlop Dirreza Sport Z1 Star Spec, Yokohama Advan Neova AD08, or Toyo Proxes R1-R?

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Star Specs for me. Next pick would be XS.

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Starspecs if you have rain commonly, otherwise XS. Might as well save a few bucks and they are great in dry weather. Tire life on the two is about identical. These two would be the longer lasting of the bunch.

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
If money isn't an issue I really liked r1r's and the yokohamas, even though the re11 is roughly in the same price range, I feel that it's too overpriced for its somewhat vague feel

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
I'm not voting for lack of experience with the other tyres, but I can say the R1R is very nice and surprisingly durable.
You don't want to manhandle them though because they can't really handle abuse, but they will last if you drive smoothly.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Wouldn't 225/45/15 fit better on x8 +25's? That was what I was planning a while back. As long as your fenders are rolled clear, they'd fit perfect.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
Wouldn't 225/45/15 fit better on x8 +25's? That was what I was planning a while back. As long as your fenders are rolled clear, they'd fit perfect.
Either would be acceptable. Although it seems the hot ticket is to put the 225 on a x9.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Id thought about it but after doing some research and talking with Brian at Goodwin Racing 205's apparently will stretch nice on an 8 in wheel and give u the best feedback as to what the tire is doing. And for autocross that's what I want.

Oh I meant to add I've already purchased tires before I even started this pole. Im just curious as to who likes what and who uses what.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Hmm. Good to know. I was just thinking of the most rubber I could put down on x8's. I'm running 205/50's right now on x7's and I don't feel like I'm getting enough grip. Then again I'm running crappy 4 year old ventus's.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I would still get the RS-3. It is the fastest tire and 15x8 is plenty of wheel. Only issue is they are a pain in the ass to find. Second choice is the Star Spec.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am going to buy Kumho for this summer. Just wondering why they are not second in the voting. If you read replyes, they should be there :D

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I am going to buy Kumho for this summer. Just wondering why they are not second in the voting. If you read replyes, they should be there :D
Not tremendous in the wet/cold and if I recall performance drops off quickly with age and heat cycles. For the price and dry use they are worth a look at.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no option for hankook?
Not tremendous in the wet/cold and if I recall performance drops off quickly with age and heat cycles. For the price and dry use they are worth a look at.
The Hankooks only come in 225 series and I want 205 series. Otherwise they'd be on there. And from what I hear too they r pretty terrible in the wet and take awhile to warm up and reach full traction, which is amplified by the light weight of the Miata. That's how my azenies were. If I raced in the cold they suck balls and even in 80 degree weather it took at least one run to get em warmed up. Tho I will say once they were warm they were awesome and I never had a problem with them getting too hot. All that being said before I even started this thread I'd already ordered a set of the Dunlops. And I see many agreed with my choice. They're all mounted up on my brand new Konig Wideopens and ready for some floggin'!

·
DopePhresh™
1,104 Posts
Id thought about it but after doing some research and talking with Brian at Goodwin Racing 205's apparently will stretch nice on an 8 in wheel and give u the best feedback as to what the tire is doing. And for autocross that's what I want.

Oh I meant to add I've already purchased tires before I even started this pole. Im just curious as to who likes what and who uses what.
I use 225/45/15s on my autocross flat outs and 205/50/15 on my daily flat outs.

the 225/45 RS3s perform amazingly, dunno why anyone would say that no matter what thats too much tire for the rim because its not. I have so much grip it's amazing.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Those 225 tires work perfectly fine on 15x8 wheels, but go put those same 225 tires on 15x9 wheels & you'll be blown away. :D

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Those 225 tires work perfectly fine on 15x8 wheels, but go put those same 225 tires on 15x9 wheels & you'll be blown away. :D
Same concept. Stretching a skinnier tire on a wide wheel. I know a 225 fits just fine on an 8 inch wide wheel but stretching a 205 on it supposedly gives u better feel and feedback especially at the limit. Which seeing as how the autocross season hasn't started yet I cant verify this but I will soon.

·
Supporting Member
210 Posts
If you are also going to daily them I think I would go with the Star Specs since they are slightly cheaper than the others and I heard that they do ok in the rain too.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts