ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 NA. A whining/squealing sound recently started happening when driving my car. It doesnt get stronger when the rpms go up but when only when the car accelerates. it completely stops when the car is at a stand still. no difference in sound when i press the cluth pedal either. origionally i thought it was coming from the passenger wheel well, but when i sat passenger and my brother drove the car, i found out it was coming from behind the radio area somewhere under the car. in the past when working on older cars ive found it to be a speedo cable for the tranny. could this be the same case?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Does it make noise when clutch pushed in but rolling(at speed)? Clutch out and rolling(at speed) but no gas? Does the speedo neddle bounce or twitch? How old is the clutch kit? Does it make noise while moving in reverse? Is there any leaking goin on? Dry input shaft bearing?

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
The speedo cable can make a whining noise. Could be it if everything else is acting normal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does it make noise when clutch pushed in but rolling(at speed)? yes

Clutch out and rolling(at speed) but no gas? yes

Does the speedo neddle bounce or twitch? no

How old is the clutch kit? i bought it earlier this year, the previous owner said the clutch was replaced a while back but had low miles on it still, he babied the car

Does it make noise while moving in reverse? i havent gone fast enough in reverse for it to make noise, it usually starts 15mph going forward. sometimes the noise goes away for my whole commute to work

Is there any leaking goin on? theres been a little drip on the drive way i just noticed and it looks like its coming from the back of the engine. i gotta grab a piece of cardboard and put it under the car to find out exactly where its coming from

Dry input shaft bearing? how would i get to it to lube it up if it is dry?

i hope that helps. i havent been able to jack the car up, the jacks and jack stand are in another house and its been wayyy cold in the morning. :?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Does the noise happen at turns or straight lines?
straight lines during my commute. i dont recall it during turns but might be possible too. it happens when i merge on to the freeway but i dont know if youd call that a turn. usually i dont go fast enough in city streets when i turn.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Does it sound like almost like a bird chirping very fast and go away once you've been driving for a while? Could be your speedo cable. I need to replace mine.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
When you do jack your car up check brakes and each tire grab top and bottom and try to shake for play, then the sides for play. If there is no play that rules out bearings and ball joints.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Does it sound like almost like a bird chirping very fast and go away once you've been driving for a while? Could be your speedo cable. I need to replace mine.
exactly. not deep grinding or anything like how i had wheel bearings worn out on a different car. how did you figure it being the speedo cable?

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
jesus christ is that what this noise is? ive had the same exact symptoms and thought wheel bearings, driveshaft u-joints, bad throwout bearing, and none of them have been the cause
my spedo cable bounces in some situations.
sounds like a damn bird chirping and gets progressively faster as my speed increases.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
speedo cable makes a helluva racket..and it comes from behind the dash, right in front of the driver...bouncing speedo neddle is a dead giveaway. both ends of the cable are sealed...so a lube of the cable is 'difficult' at best...cnanging the cable is best solution.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
speedo cable makes a helluva racket..and it comes from behind the dash, right in front of the driver...bouncing speedo neddle is a dead giveaway. both ends of the cable are sealed...so a lube of the cable is 'difficult' at best...cnanging the cable is best solution.
so the noise coming from the left side of the passenger wheel well can be from the speedometer cable?

also, i found a how-to vid. looks easy, but a bit pricy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toaLegEPbiI

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
so the noise coming from the left side of the passenger wheel well can be from the speedometer cable?

also, i found a how-to vid. looks easy, but a bit pricy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toaLegEPbiI
Yup..the cable goes into the transmission on the passenger side just aft of the shifter and below it in the tailshaft of the trans...and snakes up along the tunnel to the back of the engine compartment, across the back behind the head and into the firewall to the instrument cluster. Makes a nasty racket when going bad, and then it quits working altogether. About $80 for a new one, or you can get a used one...either way it is a relatively easy fix.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts