• I like my fenders smooth like butter.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spend a lot of time looking at pics of Roadsters. Most of the cars depicted in Road&Ster have fender mounted side winkers (or repeaters) because they're required in Japan and also in Europe and the UK. Accordingly, most of the cars that I like have these side lights. I know it's common for other JDM enthusiasts (like Honda tuners) and Euro enthusiasts (like VW tuners) to add side winkers to their US-spec cars where there was none originally. I like this look but I also like the clean simplicity of the car without them. What do you think? Do Japanese and European Roadster owners wish they had US-spec fenders w/o side winkers?

With

Without

·
Esteemed Member
3,776 Posts
Im torn on if I like them or not, Im fine without having them, so thats prolly what Ill keep, plus it makes the japanese jealous of my smooth fenders :mrgreen:

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
The Mazda ones are particularly ungainly designs. Unfortunately, none of the aftermarket ones are really upto scratch; the set on my M2, I think are Zoom, and someone in Japan has stuck them on with tape...

I can see why someone would want to retro fit them on the basis of safety, but I don't get it on aesthetic grounds.

Still, at least they're not as bad as stupid mirror mounted blinkers.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
I like them, need all the visibility I can get in God's waiting room also. I mounted a set of CBR600RR LED flushmounts to the car and they work great!

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts
I prefer the cars to not have them. My only option is to either fill the wing, or fit my Zoom ones (which are different to roadsternut's) but I can't even do that as a previous owner has gave the car a respray with a poor masking job, meaning there is a dirty tide-line under the winkers that are exposed when I fit the smaller Zoom items.. :x

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Meh, one more thing to disturb the smooth lines of the car. No thanks.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Grass is always greener on the other side and I`m sure owners in japan and europe wish they didn`t have side blinkers.

I`ve always liked it so i installed them...its also been a big plus when switching lanes on the freeway.

·
Registered
605 Posts
It depends on the style of the car. If you're going for a vintage look or a smooth look, leave them off; side repeaters didn't start appearing on cars overseas until the '70s so they'd be out of place with '60s style accessories.

However, I like the way they look on a stock-ish or modern-JDM-styled car. But then, I'm one of the crazies who likes the similar big round US-spec sidemarkers on the Porsche 924.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
It depends on the style of the car. If you're going for a vintage look or a smooth look, leave them off; side repeaters didn't start appearing on cars overseas until the '70s so they'd be out of place with '60s style accessories.
Not entirely true; while Federalised imported cars started festooning bolt on reflector parts in the 1970s, side blinkers have been used for longer by some European (Italian) manufacturers. eg Alfa Romeo.

1967 Duetto

Fiat 500 Abarth

Lancia Flaminia Zagato:

1961 Aston Martin DB4 Zagato

·
CR.net Supporter
301 Posts
No way. Looks like a huge zit on the side of someone's face. it draws your eyes to it instead of allowing them to follow the cars natural lines. I don't understand all the hype about jumping on the JDM bandwagon. People seem to think that if they do something that's "JDM" it makes them a "tuner" .. but from my experience, half of those people wouldn't be able to change their own spark plugs, let alone 'tune' a car..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts